Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2006, 01:37 AM

Default Answer from Sen, Durbin (IL-D)

I especially liked the P.S. I just got this today.....

Thank you for your message regarding Internet gambling. I appreciate hearing from you on this issue.

The debate over Internet gambling has generated strong public interest.
While most types of Internet gambling operations are prohibited under federal law, many Internet gambling operations are based in foreign countries and have fallen outside the jurisdiction of American enforcement
agencies. Overall, Americans spend roughly $4 billion to $6 billion a year on Internet gambling. Because of the largely unregulated nature of this business, Internet gambling sites often fail to block access to
gambling by children and often lack effective safeguards against fraud.

Further, Internet gambling can be addictive, and this addiction has had a harmful effect on some individuals and communities.

In September 2006, the Senate passed the SAFE Port Act of 2006 (H.R.
4954). This legislation contained numerous important provisions that would improve the security of our nation's ports. When a House-Senate conference committee met to work out differences in their separate
versions of the bill, the conferees added language regarding Internet gambling.

The language that the conference committee added to the SAFE Port Act prohibits those who are in the business of gambling from knowingly accepting credit cards, checks, electronic fund transfers or similar
financial instruments in connection with unlawful Internet gambling. The Act imposes fines and/or prison sentences on violators. The legislation further requires the Treasury Department and the Federal Reserve Board to
issue regulations directing banks and other financial transaction providers to adopt practices that will enable them to identify and prevent restricted transactions that support Internet gambling.

The final version of the SAFE Port Act of 2006 included a number of provisions important to our national security. It passed by unanimous consent in the Senate. There was not a separate vote on the provisions to
prevent unlawful Internet gambling.

As the Treasury Department and the Federal Reserve Board craft the regulations required by the gambling provisions of the SAFE Port Act, it is important that they work with law-abiding financial transaction providers. We can effectively improve the enforcement of our longstanding
ban on unlawful Internet gambling transactions without imposing unrealistic or overly burdensome requirements on law-abiding financial transaction providers.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please feel free to stay in touch.

Sincerely,
Richard J. Durbin
United States Senator

RJD/ds

P.S. If you are ever visiting Washington, please feel free to join Senator Obama and me at our weekly constituent coffee. When the Senate is in session, we provide coffee and donuts every Thursday at 8:30 a.m. as we
hear what is on the minds of Illinoisans and respond to your questions.
We would welcome your participation. Please call my D.C. office for more details.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:44 AM

Default Re: Answer from Sen, Durbin (IL-D)

Most of the replies that posters here have received from Senators or Representatives have been of similar nature.

Translation: I don't give a [censored] what you think. Here's a nice boilerplate form letter to thank you for taking time to send me your opinion, which I will totally ignore.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:52 AM

I am just happy he is looking out for the children, because i know my 2 year old spends at least 6 hours a day multi-tabling at Full Tilt.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am just happy he is looking out for the children, because i know my 2 year old spends at least 6 hours a day multi-tabling at Full Tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

That gives me an idea. My 2 year old is smart as hell, she picks things up super fast, if I teach her to play I bet she could do way better than me....
Old 10-17-2006, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He must be the one who keeps calling me a poopie head when I river him. He's good, though...does he give lessons?
Old 10-17-2006, 06:00 AM

LMAO...come on down for coffee and donuts...what a tool!!!
Old 10-17-2006, 08:49 AM

Senator Durbin goes to my church, and he is a good Senator. I got the same form letter in response to him, but he has grown a lot since he was a Congressman. I was not very impressed with him before he went to the US Senate. In fact, I thought he would be a one term Senator. He has matured a lot politically since he got to the Senate.

If you are in Washington (like I will be on business in a few weeks), you should get to together with him. He is really open minded and if you tell him how this bill is impeding on your personal freedoms and rights as a tax payer/law abiding American (as I will do), I think he may be one that will come around.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Because of the largely unregulated nature of this business, Internet gambling sites often fail to block access to
gambling by children and often lack effective safeguards against fraud.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder what this is based on. And if, as the statement seems to imply, the sites would block access to children and prevent fraud with regulation, I wonder why that is not a reasonable step to take...

Oh, right, because he's a butthead. I keep forgetting my politics handbook.

--Zetack
Old 10-17-2006, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Senator Durbin goes to my church

[/ QUOTE ]

the fact that he either a) believes in mythology or b) pretends to believe in mythology suggest to me that he will never truly understood the concepts of personal freedom necessary to do anything positive for the internet gambling cause

mike
Old 10-17-2006, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Senator Durbin goes to my church

[/ QUOTE ]

the fact that he either a) believes in mythology or b) pretends to believe in mythology suggest to me that he will never truly understood the concepts of personal freedom necessary to do anything positive for the internet gambling cause

mike

[/ QUOTE ]

That's absurd. I go to church, I play poker, and I drink beer. What is this 'if you believe in mythology you hate freedom' crap that I keep hearing on this forum? Not everyone who believes in something belongs to the right-wing nazis.