Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2006, 11:58 PM

Default Re: Making Jokes About Tragedy: Insensitive or Coping Method?

I think this could be an interesting thread if there was more discussion about it instead of immediately dismissing it.

For example, what makes it socially acceptable to joke about some tradegies but not others? Is it mostly the amount of time? Obviously it depends on the audience of the joke, etc.

Example -- See thread about the guy's baby dying. 100% innappropriate to make a joke about this, and no one will. However, we've seen jokes about the Yankee pitcher who died already. Some of OOT was horrified while others kinda thought it was funny (me included). I can't say why I thought they were funny. I'm not a baseball fan, I had never even heard of the guy, I just saw a funny cartoon...
Old 10-16-2006, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A man walks into a talent agent's office with his family...

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you call your act?
Old 10-17-2006, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For example, what makes it socially acceptable to joke about some tradegies but not others? Is it mostly the amount of time? Obviously it depends on the audience of the joke, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, it seem's like it's a pretty simple function of percentage offended vs percentage thinking it's funny, which depends on audience like you said.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A man walks into a talent agent's office with his family...

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you call your act?

[/ QUOTE ]

".....the Aristocrats!"
Old 10-17-2006, 01:36 AM

Noah,

I understand your point(s), but when it comes to guessing motive electronically (e-mails and message boards), I've found that it's in my best interest to take a "best case scenario" tack. That is, I'm not sure how to interpret tone so I do so in the most positive way possible. I've found this avoids needless confrontation and stress if I misinterpret or otherwise let myself get aggravated by someone's writings.

Also, I think Dids said it best:

"I have a hard time caring about stuff that happens to people that I don't know."

This seems pretty logical to me.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This arguments fails to hold up, however, when it comes to acts such as Corey Lidle, etc. Not many if any of us were devastated by this.

[/ QUOTE ]
If something had no impact on your life, my life or the life of anyone here, why are you saddened or enraged by it?

[ QUOTE ]
I just am saddened when I read these threads and think about the families that lost loved ones that haven't even begun the grieve and already there are websites, youtubes, avatars, and joke e-mails soaring across the internet. These jokes are free, and yet I cant help but feel as though people are profiting off the death and pain of others, even if that payment is only as fodder for jokes.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh. I see. You just need to get off that horse your on.

[ QUOTE ]
How would you feel if you were a surviving family member and came across these jokes before your loved one was even in the ground.

[/ QUOTE ]Maybe news sites shouldn't report on these death until a good 24-48 hours have passed. Now I realize this is different from people making jokes, but the idea still holds. Because being reminded of a death in any manner during those first hours will bring about just as much pain in the heart of the bereaved.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:09 AM

i'm gonna guess that you havn't lived your whole life without laughing at a joke that is emotionally insensitvie about innocent people's tragedy. So in theory, it's hard to draw the line between your personal morals and someone elses based on time or severity of tragedy. Obviously there are actual standards in practicality somewhere, but your 'just venting' excuse does not exhonnerate you from (possible) hypocrisy.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:26 AM

Someone go make a joke post in the still born thread. I'm not gonna do it, I will get banned 4 real if i do and that stings 4 real

NOT
Old 10-17-2006, 08:47 AM

I just read the thread on the man whose baby was still born and in addition to being one of the saddest things I have read, not just on 2+2, but in general, it also provides a perfect example of what I was talking about.

Reading that story, I am sure that a joke did not even cross anyone's mind, because there was personal connection and we could feel for his loss.

Now imagine on some other forum, people were making jokes, posting photoshopped photos, etc. about this loss. They did not read his story, the connection for them was not there, so just another occurence in life, and all events warrant jokes.

How would that make you feel as a fellow human being?

Would you not cringe at the lack of compassion and humanity?

I'm just saying that although we can't have a global mourning for every death, somethings are just better left untouched.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:06 AM

I think part of the difference is, even though this is a semi anonymous internet forum, we know that the OP of that thread will read any dumb joke responses that get made, and it is obvious that he will not enjoy them. People making dumb stingray jokes on here know that Steve Irwin's family will never see them.