Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2006, 06:26 PM

Default Re: Can someone explain how Full Tilt is still in business? Doyle?

[ QUOTE ]
Aren't these pros taking quite a risk by continuing to advertise to US players with their likenesses - when it's clear that they are profiting from this?

Doyle, FT Pros, Pamela Anderson, whoever else? What kind of protection can they have against aiding and abetting if they're hiding behind some kind of barrier that a lawyer created?

I'm interested to see replies from people that know more about all of this than I do...

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not understand why Full Tilt people would be worried. The recent legislation did not change any poker laws whatsover. If online poker was considered illegal before the legislation, it is still illegal. If online poker was not considered illegal before the legislation (and most experts say it was not considered illegal because Congress never amended the 1961 Wire Act to say so), it is still not considered illegal.

This legislation only affects the mechanism of funding gaming web sites and specifically addresses banks. Since Full Tilt (and other poker sites) do not interface directly with banks, they will be fine. Neteller is basically an online bank, is not based in the US, and the feds will have no ability to enforce anything.

Who knows how it will all turn out but that's my take on this and I'm not alone.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:31 PM

That is your take on it, here is the Justice Departments:

"Online poker is online gambling. And online gambling, we would say, is illegal," Justice Department spokeswoman Jaclyn Lesch said.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:56 PM

The new law has done nothing to increase or decrease the criminality of online poker. at the worst it makes it harder to deposit and may effect peoples attempts to gain access to their accounts.

Everyone that posts things like "shouldn't these pro's be worried" are either ill informed or morons. I would guess the latter. I am sure millionaires like ivey and doyle aren't going to risk jail time for some added revenue. THey have sought legal counsel and determined nothing has changed.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The new law has done nothing to increase or decrease the criminality of online poker. at the worst it makes it harder to deposit and may effect peoples attempts to gain access to their accounts.

Everyone that posts things like "shouldn't these pro's be worried" are either ill informed or morons. I would guess the latter. I am sure millionaires like ivey and doyle aren't going to risk jail time for some added revenue. THey have sought legal counsel and determined nothing has changed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or they like to gamble (pun intended).
Old 10-16-2006, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That is your take on it, here is the Justice Departments:

"Online poker is online gambling. And online gambling, we would say, is illegal," Justice Department spokeswoman Jaclyn Lesch said.

[/ QUOTE ]

They have said that for a long time, but have not enforced the law. The real question is if the Facist Party did this as a political stunt to get the conservative vote this year or if they really intend to go after online gambling. Since the law doesn't directly address gambling as a crime (left to the states and the unenforced wire act), I think it's more politics than policy. It does leave some at risk, but poker is their livlihood. They are not going to quit and go back to bartending over a new law that doesn't change what they have always been doing and the possibility that a 1961 might finally be enforced. Even if they did enforce it, they would probably come after one high profile person to make an example of and not the entire professional poker community. And there is a good chance the defendant could prevail. I think the EV is way positive on this one and they are right to continue.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Uh U mean like 2+2 running links and ads to Bodog etc?

[ QUOTE ]
One other example--all the emphasis on the New Orleans federal district court opinion holding that poker is a game of skill and therefore covered under the Wire Act. I haven't read the decision but I did read a summary of the facts. Debtors sued by their credit card company claimed that their poker wagers constituted illegal wagers and therefore they should not have pay charges incurred on their credit cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Were you refering to the decision cited in this article, about half way down, in the section titled, "Online Poker Is Not Illegal"?

Legal Landscape of Online Gaming Has Not Changed

"Judge Duvall ruled that the Wire Act only prohibited wagering on sports events and he dismissed all 33 cases, . . . "
Old 10-16-2006, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Definition of arrest courtesy of the Delaware courts website:

"To take into custody by legal authority."

Do you even know why the definition of arrest is important? Because it changes your legal rights.

Another definition:

"This is when the police detain someone, telling them they are not free to leave until further notice. Often, an arrest will take place at the same time as a person is charged with an offence, but not necessarily."

BTW, in your previous post you said the people from BetOnSports were the only to have been arrested. At least you revised that in your last post. Now it is "several." lmao.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow Lottery you are a dck.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Andrew Faston was the main criminal in the enron case. trust me, I know, I worked for Arthur Andersen at the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's interesting, since you don't even know the guy's last name.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:27 PM

Full Tilt recently relocated their United States operations from the United States to Ireland. If you think that's just a coincidence, then you probably also think that the government won't enforce the new law. LOL
Old 10-16-2006, 10:36 PM

LotteryOrPoker and Lawman007 should get their own private forum where they can post about how [censored] everybody is. And they should be banned from this one.