Old 10-16-2006, 11:53 AM

Default Flopped two pair in blind battle

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (5 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

UTG ($93.95)
MP ($29.15)
Button ($14.50)
SB ($45.10)
Hero ($80.10)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($1) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $0.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.5</font>, SB calls $1.

Turn: ($4) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $0.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.5</font>, SB calls $2.

River: ($9) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $8</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $17

When I looked at the hand, I figured that I could raise a bit stronger on both flop and turn. Other than that, is the river laydown good/bad/standard ? The villain in the table has played only a few hands, mostly folding or limping and folding, nothing out of the ordinary for loose passivish player.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Flopped two pair in blind battle

river fold is standard.

definitely raise flop heavier(and turn if it gets there)
Old 10-16-2006, 11:59 AM

I'm just calling the turn. If he's called the flop like that he's probably not going to fold the turn either and with the board looking like that you don't want to dump money in and have the river be something great like, oh say a Queen?

This is a good example of where you should have been controlling the pot. Remember given that he has completed from the SB his range is any two, so don't get cute. You are probably good to the river but you dont want to play a big pot here, you didn't get enough info preflop. I would have raised the flop more too.

I call the turn bet and call something reasonable on the river but as played I certainly fold.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:12 PM

I guess raising preflop would be one thing to improve here as well
Old 10-16-2006, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just calling the turn. If he's called the flop like that he's probably not going to fold the turn either and with the board looking like that you don't want to dump money in and have the river be something great like, oh say a Queen?

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree.

With such weak bets, villain was probably drawing, slight chance of dragging, so I would try to take the pot at the turn by raising potsize.
The fold was correct IMO.

In other words: make him pay for his draws and don't justify loose calls. In the long run you'll be ahead. Suckouts happen.

J
Old 10-16-2006, 12:18 PM

I will raise liberally against a completer, yes. This isn't something that is so important you should do every time, but punishing the SB from the BB is a valuable move as the SB will generally be completing with a speculative hand and be forced to lay down.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:45 PM

After his turn bet it also looks to me like some kind of pair with a draw hand. Raise flop more and pot raise turn. River fold looks correct.