Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2006, 06:17 AM

Default Re: Best book for Omaha Hi/Lo?

[ QUOTE ]
These Q's have obviously been asked before. Nevertheless, the quick answer is as follows:

Ray Zee's book (High low split for advanced players) is the set text on Omaha8B. There is also a decent section in SuperSystem 2. I personally like Cappelletti's Omaha high/low book (Think it's called 'How to win at Omaha high low') although some people on this forum seem to dislike it.

The only printed info on 2-7 Triple Draw is in SuperSystem 2, and there is nothing on Badugi in print. The 'Other poker' forum here has some of the best information available on both Triple Draw and Badugi. You will have to browse the archives and/or run a search.

As far as other popular mixed game games go: the set text on Razz is 'Skalnsky on Poker' half of which is actually 'Sklanky on Razz'; for Stud8b the aforementioned Ray Zee book is the set text and there is also a good chapter in SuperSystem 2; for Stud read the 'for advanced players' book by Sklansky, Malmuth and Zee as well as Roy West's beginner's book and Chip Reese's chapter in SuperSystem 1.

We should have a sticky on this forum really. I know the reasons why not, but it would still be helpful to people. The search function is not the greatest and it is not really newcomers' (I know OP is not a newcomer) faults that they are posting the same questions again and again. If not a sticky then someone should write a 'definitive post' and a link to this can be included every time someone asks one of these questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK. I think what we should do is everyone leave their recommendations into this thread, then put them into a new "clean and tidy" one which can get "bumped" or something.

Personally, I like:

Limit Hold'em

Getting Started in Hold'em (Ed Miller)
Hold'em Poker (David Sklansky)
Small Stakes Hold'em (Ed Miller, David Sklansky, Mason Malmuthh)
Hold'em Poker for advanced players (David Sklansky, Mason Malmuth)
Weighing the Odds in Hold'em Poker (King Yao)
Real Poker 2: the play of hands (Roy Cooke, John Bond)
How Good is Your Limit Holddem (Byron Jacobs)

No Limit Hold'em

No Limit Hold'em: theory and practice (David Sklansky, Ed Miller)
Pot Limit and No Limit Poker (Bob Ciaffone Stewart Reuben)
NL chapter in Super System 2 (Doyle Brunson)

Omaha

Omaha Poker (Bob Ciaffone
Secrets of Professional Pot Limit Omaha (Rolf Slotboom)

Tournament

Harrington on Hold'em (Dan Harrington, Bill Robertie)
Harrington on Hold'em 2 (as above)
Harrington on Hold'em 3 (as above)
Tournament Poker for advanced players (David Sklansky)
The Little Green Book (Phil Gordon)

7 Card Stud

7 Card Stud for advancedplayers (David Sklansky, Mason Malmuth, Ray Zee)

General

Theory of Poker (David sklansky)
The Psychology of Poker (Dr Alan Schoonmaker)
Inside The Poker Mind (Dr John Feeney)
Ace on The River
Caro's Book of Poker Tells (Mike Caro)
Improve Your Poker (Bob Ciaffone)
Gambling Theory and Other Topics (Mason Malmuth)

This, combined with your above mentioned books should just about do it. I'm sure I've missed out some books, but if people want to add their recommendations, then they can be included. As I said, all this could then be sorted into a new clean thread.

PJS