Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2006, 02:33 AM

Default Table ATM wins the lottery, and go crazy

UB 100$ 20K garunteed.

Villan in question came with me to the FT, prior to the FT, he was unremarkable, winning a big pot with a big hand played very straight forward, on the aggressive side preflop, especially from LP.

Then we get to the final table. (both in top 3), and he turns into a total resteal ATM. The table was kinda tough I guess (LEgggggy, mindwise, JV), so my thought was he was trying for easy chips, or else trying to fold up the ladder.

Seriously, 1st he folded to a SB push, getting 2.5-1, then I 'restole' (I actually had a decent hand most times) from him 5-6 times once we were down to 6 players. Eventually, I just started getting walks everytime we had a BoB battle (with an occasional open push for 10-15BBs or so from him.

He happily folded down to under 40K (3k/6K) and the chip leader took out a shorty, and 2nd stack in one hand. So he just went from maybe 1100$ to 2200$ quickly, and his DB stats told me that that 2K was HUGE for him. Then he turns into a maniac. He open push 2 of the nest 6 hands, resraised the chip leader (wins pf), and got a walk in the BB.

So...

Hand #35937669-168 at Fri801pmA-Final (No Limit tournament Hold\’em)
Started at 15/Oct/06 01:38:11

DUDE is at seat 4 with 325910.
VILLAN is at seat 5 with 74110.
Dr_Bombay12 is at seat 9 with 119980.
The button is at seat 5.

Pre-flop:
Dr_Bombay12:K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Dr_Bombay12 raises to 16000. DUDE folds.
Villan re-raises to 52800.

I HATED the fact that he didnt push, absolutely hated it. Also, I think CEV and $EV are very different here. Also, I felt like I had at least a 50% chance to win as long as I got HU with 50% of their chips.

1st-5.5K, 2nd, 3.2K, 3rd, 2.3K

Whats my play?
Old 10-15-2006, 05:14 AM

Default Re: Table ATM wins the lottery, and go crazy

Blinds 2000/4000?

Pushing PF is the move 1st off.

I think given the $EV by playing heads up against a worse opponent, with the fact he didnt re-rasie all in seems like a rope a dope attempt. He easily could be doing this with a bad ace (A8+), pair above 88, so ur really behind. Fold.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:23 AM

I think the thing to keep in mind about the reraise size is this: is he just hitting the "Bet pot" button without regard for his stack size? It could be this, and not necessarily him getting tricky with his reraise sizes.

Given your description of villain i'm kind of inclined to call, but i'm not sure. $EV is definitely a factor but I feel like you've got a real edge here.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Blinds 2000/4000?

Pushing PF is the move 1st off.

I think given the $EV by playing heads up against a worse opponent, with the fact he didnt re-rasie all in seems like a rope a dope attempt. He easily could be doing this with a bad ace (A8+), pair above 88, so ur really behind. Fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

The blinds were 3/6K. I think open pushing is really bad here. Like really bad. It wasnt as if they were crazy agro restealers, and I knew I had a big post flop edge (as large as you can with these stacks).

Nath, you are a genius. I completely forgot about the effect of the 'bet pot' button on UB. Once I got MTH I played pretty much stars and party only. The keyboard shortcuts were just too much fun. This was my first MTT in a long time on UB. Great structure on 100$ events BTW, 2500 chips, slower levels. The average stack was always pretty deep for a MTT.