Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2006, 06:42 PM

Default buried medium pair looking for comments

I put the villian on a straight draw here, trying to represent that he had it. Comments all everything please

7 Card Stud High ($0.50/$1.00), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.25 (converter)

Seat 1: $46.50
Seat 2: $7.70
Seat 3: $10
Seat 4: $25.85
Hero: $13.25
Seat 6: $17.45
Seat 7: $19.25
Seat 8: $28.40

3rd Street - (0.80 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (3.30 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (3.65 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___folds
Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___raises
Seat 6: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises___calls

6th Street - (11.65 BB)

Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls

River - (13.65 BB)

Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___checks___raises

Total pot: (17.65 BB)

Results (in white):<font color="white">

Total pot $17.65 | Rake $0.50

Hero: [8s 8c 5d 9d 8h 2s Th]

Seat 6: [7d 7s 7c 6d 9c Qc Qd] (a full house, Sevens full of Queens)

</font>
Old 10-14-2006, 07:20 PM

Default Re: buried medium pair looking for comments

Fold third. Check fourth. Either check the river or fold to the check-raise.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:58 AM

All looks at least reasonable to me, though I might fold 3rd depending on table. Sometimes you lose.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:51 AM

I called because it was a loose passive table. I bet fourth street because everyone was showing weakness. I thought that a bet would possible thin the herd and give me some information. The main reason that I put the villian on a straight draw was that I had commonly seen him come in with those types of hands. On fifth his board on fifth and his actions up to this point seemed to support this. I figured his raise for a semi bluff, trying to represent that he had made it. My other reason for playing the hand is that I was live and concealed.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:13 AM

A live concealed pair is reasonable to play on third. The only way I could consider folding this is if I knew that the jack would automatically complete and the ace would automatically reraise him, and would them proceed to make aggressive plays at each other.

Your fourth street bet is horrible for trying to thin the crowd. Your board isn't scary to loose players. The player you most want to see fold is the A-6 of spades, and you will probably need to charge him two bets to make him fold on fourth. The table seems too passive for that to happen. I think that you gain more information from finding out if loose-passive bet when you check, since I think that they call your bet on fourth with both their strong and weak hands.

If you want to knock people out, consider waiting until fifth to get aggressive, even if you don't improve.

Also, you should consider the cards that are out. By fifth, you have two nines, two fives, and three eights that are dead. He's more likely to have a hand like 9-7 in the hole for two pair, or T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for a straight draw and a flush draw. By the same token, your opponent knew that four sixes and three sevens were dead, so he shouldn't be fearing that you had a straight and should be more worried about a hand like a pair and a flush draw on fifth. I think he should have check-raised you on sixth.