Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2006, 02:12 PM

Default Re: Pokerstars laying kind of low

[ QUOTE ]
So after all the anticipation on 2+2 they finally released their statement on Thursday here:

http://www.pokerstars.com/legislation/uigea/

Excited we all were that Stars was indeed sticking atound.
but there really wasn't that much to the statement.

I can't even figure out how to get to this announcement from their home-page. I only have that link to it that ZBT provided in the previous thread about this.
But I don't think it's under the 'news' or 'VIP club' or 'home' tabs.

I'm just not sure how any casual PokerStars webpage surfers actually find that announcement. Thus, I'm also not sure how the casual players know that Stats is NOT taking the same position as Party.

Also - no e-mail from Stars about this. Nothing on their little 'news' pop-up about it. nothing in the lobby.

why isn't this the biggest thing that they are promoting??
They should be saying, "We're here to stay and we don't plan on going anywhere!!" and they shouldn't be bashful about letting ALL their customers know about it.

Some people here have already observed that Stars apparently hasn't received the huge boost in former Party players that one might have expected.

Well, part of the reason is that the casual players, even those WITH Stars accounts already, may very well not know that Stars has announced they are staying.

They made this announcement almost as inconspicuous as possible as best I can tell and I think that's kind of weird.

Not that I'm qualified to run a big poker website or anything, but it seems to me it makes far more sense to send out a mass e-mail to all your customers that Stars intends to continue to serve U.S. customers, to put it on the 'news' pop-up and to put it in really big letters in the lobby and on the home-page of their web-site.

Maybe they think the timing of such a big announcement might be better if they wait until Monday after more of the Party players learn more officially that they can't play there anymore.

I would still disagree with that strategy too, but at least it would be better than doing almost nothing to promote their position which is what appears to me to be all they have been doing so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, Bob. This makes absolutely no sense at all. I have been all over the Stars website and I can't find the announcement. If this, in fact, was their official position I think they would be trumpeting this from the ramparts. It would be all over their website and every player with a Stars account would have received an e-mail.

Question: If you were Stars and were going to announce this type of momentous business decision would a link posted by a third party on a poker forum be your vehicle of choice? I don't think so. I'm a real sceptic regarding this issue. Until Stars places their announcement on their site for everyone to see, I will remail sceptical.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:25 PM

Hi folks -
I posted an official statement on some other forums, but I'm happy to post our official statement here.

You can see that it is, in fact, on our website.

We're delighted to be offering our services to everybody, including our U.S. players. Let's play poker.

Best regards,
Lee Jones

PokerStars Poker Room Manager
Old 10-14-2006, 02:31 PM

Now that you mention it, it is odd. I spent a few minutes trying to get the announcement from the main page, no luck whatsoever. In fact there's even nothing on this page
http://www.pokerstars.com/poker/news/ which really should have some sort of link. Mind you there's absolutely no way the link posted earlier this week is anything other than their position on the issue, otherwise someone among Lee Jones and the host of Stars support etc. people who spend time here and contribute would have refuted it by now.

Still an odd one, I can maybe understand them not wanting to shout it from the rooftops, but not mentioning it at all except posting a link that no one could get to independently on one or more forums does seem strange.

Edit : great Lee Jones makes me look really stupid.

Edit the edit : I still can't find the link off that main page but that probably only reinforces the stupid bit.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:34 PM

Lee --

I don't see the announcement on main page. Maybe I'm missing it, but if its there, it sure isn't very prominent.

As always, thanks for reading and responding to threads here.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:38 PM

Lee,

I love how you thoroughly avoided the topic at hand.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi folks -
I posted an official statement on some other forums, but I'm happy to post our official statement here.

You can see that it is, in fact, on our website.

We're delighted to be offering our services to everybody, including our U.S. players. Let's play poker.

Best regards,
Lee Jones

[/ QUOTE ]

Lee, thanks for the quick response and my apologies for my scepticism. But, I still can't find the announcement on your website. I must be blind.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:43 PM

I can't find it either.

Not on the home page, not on the download page, not in the FAQs, or under 'about us' or 'real money'. It's not in news, press releases or 'Pokerstars in the news' (although I've seen several media stories on the subject).
Old 10-14-2006, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still can't find the link off that main page but that probably only reinforces the stupid bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you're not stupid [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] We don't link to the statement from the main page. Odd as it seems, we believe there are a lot of people who aren't aware of the whole UIGEA issue. We don't see any point in alarming those folks. On the other hand, we want to be sure that people who do know about it get the information they need. 2+2 and a small number of other forums have done a first-rate job of getting the word out among the poker cognescenti, so you've helped us do our job. Thanks!

Best regards,
Lee Jones

Old 10-14-2006, 02:53 PM

As I said in my original post and others are reiterating here, I can't find it anywhere on the site either.

We all saw the 'official' statement. But I have no idea how to get to this statement from the pokerstars website homepage at all.

And if I can't find it while I'm ACTIVELY doing everything I can to find it (multiple tries) then I have no idea how any casual player is going to accidentally stumble across it and learn Stars' position on all this.

Lee - thanks for coming into this thread. But you did not address the issue that Stars is not actively trumpeting its position (via e-mail to their customers or a blurb in the pop-up news page).

Many Stars customers (and potential customers) have no idea that Stars is NOT taking the same position as Party because they haven't been told.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:59 PM

Lee- I also think some statement relevant to RBS announcement might reassure some people (including me). Thanks.