Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2006, 05:21 PM

Default Re: online cheating

Why do you think the big online rooms update their software so often?
Old 01-30-2006, 06:59 PM

Just in case there is doubt here

Your opponents' cards when still face down are not transmitted to you over the network in any form, so it is not possible to write clever code to "display" them.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jonny, what site(s) was this on? It's certainly possible, but only through a really serious software bug.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has only happened to me Pokerroom. And only when using their Java interface on a Mac.

It happened roughly 14 times last year--in 10k hands--so I am not trying to wave a big red flag. It was just odd that it even happened once.

Also, it has not stopped me from playing on that site, but I think it is worth noting.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:27 AM

having xp enabled for remote assistance and remote manipulation will make you vulnerable to hack and make visible your desktop on a remote machine.

this is a fact; there IS software that will allow an attacker to do it.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
having xp enabled for remote assistance and remote manipulation will make you vulnerable to hack and make visible your desktop on a remote machine.

this is a fact; there IS software that will allow an attacker to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've used Terminal Services since NT4 and Remote Desktop in XP since it was released. Good luck hacking me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But in all seriousness - it takes far less than using technologies like these to make your machine vulnerable - if you don't protect it you will be hacked. But by 1/2 limit poker players . . . no.

Exploits search for victims by being scattershot all over the Internet looking for vulnerable machines. The way any decent poker client is written, you have no idea what the IP address of anyone else playing in the game is. Your machine never communicates directly with them - only through the server as intermediary so you'd have no idea who to target. In order to perform what is being talked about here you'd have to hack tens of thousands of computers, wait for one of them to start playing online poker, then go sit down at their table. Ridiculous. You'd be far better off waiting for them to log into Neteller and capturing their login credentials.

But cheating does happen - I've seen it both live and online through collusion or angle shooting. The beauty is, people who cheat at low limit poker nearly always suck so bad at poker they still end up losers or very small winners. It's something you should probably be aware of, but not overly worried about.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm nervous that some people have an edge online due to multiple accounts playing the same table or people communicating via instant message. i've even heard of software that can show you other players cards. is that for real? how much cheating goes on, and how/where can i avoid it? thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

- There is no software that can show other players cards unless software is installed on the victims computer.

- Collusion is not really a concern in the lower limits, but most sites will look into players that freqently play at the same tables at the same time with other players. Party is partcularly good with this, even though their customer service usually sucks.

- There has been rumers flying that players have been able to see other players holecards though a software glitch on the Ongame network (includes pokerroom & eurobet). It is not really known if this is true, but if you are concerned stick to Party Poker & Pokerstars, where there are no doubts about security.