Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2006, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Has anyone ever lived/visited Buenos Aires? w/ Bonus Europe Questi

For a while, I lived 4 hours and a $30 bus ticket from Prague, and it was by far my favorite European city... until I went to Budapest.

I agree with others that Berlin wasn't that great. If you're going strictly for cultural value, its hard to beat. Lost of historic sites, great museums, etc. But if you're more interested in a good time and a fun vibe in general, I wouldn't pick Berlin. Also, its a huge pain in the ass to get around. Gigantic city and not great public transport means its a pain in the ass to get from point A to point B.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:30 PM

be careful... Argentina has much different slang than the rest of the spanish speaking world.

The most notable difference being that "coger" means to grab or get in the rest of the world, but means "chingar" or "cachar" in Argentina.

PM if you want more.

As far as Europe goes, Barcelona and Lisbon are musts. Consider Porto (nothern Portugal) as well.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So I am thinking of picking up a second residency in Buenos Aires. I am curious of people's experiences with living or visiting there. I hear it is a beautiful, very European city, with low crime for it's size and fairly cheap living expenses (living on $1,000/mo is extremely doable). Any parts of the city I should be looking to rent in? Also, I hear it is the same plugs/voltage as Europe, is this correct? My spanish is passable in conversation (I could ask to get to my hotel, order at a restaurant, get directions, etc. Probably couldn't talk to a doctor or real estate agent, however). Any problems there?

I want to have a second residence that I can go to in the event I don't feel like being in Sweden for whatever reason. I could also theoretically escape winter forever. I'm having a lawyer look into my possible visa routes, but I'm about 70% confident I can get one (I could always do a perputual visitor visa). Thanks for any comments about the city.

Bonus: I am planning to do six 3-5 day trips to a different European city every month for the next 6 months. If you had to choose only six cities you could visit, what would they be and why. I'm thinking London, Paris, Berlin, Amsterdam, and Rome are all must sees. Perhaps Madrid as number six? Thanks again.

[/ QUOTE ]

BA is a lot of fun. Hope you like eatin' late though because they sure do. And, if you like your beef cooked anything less than well friggin' done, you'd better go elsewhere. And for a town that likes to party, they drink surprisingly little there.

If I were going to visit 6 European cities they would be Prague, Prague, Prague, Prague, Amsterdam and Prague.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:44 AM

Default Re: Has anyone ever lived/visited Buenos Aires? w/ Bonus Europe Question

If a great Red Light district is your thing, I'd recommend Hamburg's Reeperbahn.

If you like a charming old-style European town, I'd recommend Salzburg, Austria.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And, if you like your beef cooked anything less than well friggin' done, you'd better go elsewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]
This was so frustrating. My friend and I finally hit on the method of telling the waiter to have them cook it like seared tuna. Rarest steak I've ever had, but it practically melted in my mouth.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:21 AM

Bonus : Uh hard one. Suppose it's like pick up 6 places in Northern Americaand only 6.
Being European, and having it all seen I'd advise:
Paris, London are obviously A+ choices. Be careful as those are censored expensive cities (can guarantee you that as I lived in both)
Roma is A choice but while you're hanging around, and depnding of your personnal tastes (do you like seightseeing ? clubbing ? etc... ?) you may try Venezia.
Amsterdam is very good sa B+, especially if you love art and/or weed. If not, skip it.
I do believe Berlin is less interesting. You may consider Prague, very beautiful even local mentality is absolutely ***. Be careful of everything as more there are many thiefs. Budapest is also fantastic.
I would avoid Madrid, and focus on Sevilla/Grenada which are absolutely wonderful places. Barcelona may however be a good choice if you love clubbing.
And during spring time, why not try Marseille or Naples ? These cities are VERY underrated, and imo (I elected to live in Marseille for some good reasons) are the most original places and are great if you like cities on the sea, or the sea by itself. If you ever plan that just PM me.
For Buenos Aires, 1k$/month is doable but not that easy at all. If yu have specific questions about Buenos Aires one of my best friends lives there part time and is doing his PhD on Buenos Aires. So don't hesitate to PM.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:42 AM

Can't miss Barcelona.