Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2006, 09:00 AM

Default 3bet turn with my Straight?

here is my first hand post at the forum:

SB is 55/3/0.5 over just 33 hands.
BB is 66/0/0.1 over 67 hands.

what about the check rase from SB on the turn? Do you 3bet?

Prima Poker skin
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.5/$1.0
5 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG calls, CO folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB 3-bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (9.6SB, 3 players)
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (7.8BB, 3 players)
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB caps</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

River: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (19.8BB, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Results:
Final pot: 22.8BB
Old 10-14-2006, 10:23 AM

Default Re: 3bet turn with my Straight?

You should cut off the action when he check/raises the turn.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:23 AM

SB is taking a really weird line here...
With that very limited read it is kinda hard to say, but I don't think he's a true maniac.
His play looks like someone getting fancy with AT,QT,AA,QQ or possibly KJ. He will have Tx or Ax a decent amount of time though.

I think it is ok to just call the turn actually and hope that SB is a moron and that UTG will stick around to pad the pot. you have position and you can make sure that at least 1 bet goes in on the river too.

edit: sharpie is right. you'll get a lot better responses if you do that. I can pretty much guarantee that my reply is somewhat based on the fact that I know what happens after.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:39 PM

From the looks of it, SB is one of those guys who goes for a checkraise every time he has a strong hand.

In any event, when someone puts in the last preflop raise and then checks the flop and then wakes up with a checkraise or a raise after that, it very frequently means a monster.

It's not making me feel any better that SB appears to be passive, based on his first 33 hands.

AQ is a hand to hope for, but I think you'd be better off just calling the turn checkraise. Tx isn't too likely once we take preflop into account, but QQ and the mathematically unlikely TT are hands to worry about, and also if SB held AT or AA, well, that would be consistent with a decision to go for another sneaky checkraise on the turn. (For some players, when they improve, their first instinct is to checkraise.)

I'm sure SB has no idea you have a hand as strong as KJ, but even though he's probably mostly just thinking of his own hand, I think the back-to-back checkraises represent an even bigger monster when we take preflop into account as well.

So I think calling down the turn checkraise is best, although I can imagine myself not really showing such restraint at the table.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:44 PM

I am surprised nobody is 3-betting this turn.. I would, and call down after he caps it. His line is weird, and if that's his way of slowplaying full houses, so be it. Just remember it next time.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:45 AM

thanks for your responses.
For those interested bellow in white are SB, BB holdings:
SB: AA
BB: Qx

well... dont know what happens but I donīt manage to set the color...