Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2006, 11:26 PM

Default Re: How many dimension are there in the universe?

Wow! Who knew all those physicists could be so wrong for so long?
To clarify then, there are three dimensions of common experience (x,y,z), Heaven (H), and Hell (h). What about Purgatory (P) and Limbo (L) from Catholics (aling with Dante's 8 subdimensions of Hell (H1...8)), Inner (I) and Outer (O) darkness from Mormons (along with their subdimensional spaces of heaven: Celestial (Hc) Telestial (Ht) and Terestrial (He)) and those seven extra dimensions string theory keeps talking about.
I think that brings the total to 30 dimensions (excluding that pesky 't').

That's a complicated graph.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
x, y, z, t.

There's four right there. Did I just blow your mind?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like your a good student who believe everything your teacher told you.

No t,honey,t is not exist as a dimension.

Did I just blow your mind,too?

t is a contemporary solution people use to tackle the large scale of universe they cant imagine with their shallow knowledge.

[/ QUOTE ]

I laughed out loud at this post.

Those "teachers" I learn from are world-renowned astrophysicists and cosmologists. And it's not even as if it takes someone of that calibre to know time is a dimension.

You are obviously a religious zealot who believes the earth was created 6000 years ago. No sense arguing with the extremists and their never ending goal of spreading ignorance throughout the world.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:36 PM

Please dont post, you give all theists a bad name. Time is obviously a dimension, Im a senior in highschool and can see this a pretty evident. Think about it this way,
You want to meet someone for dinner in their apartment , they tell you the building's address which is two dimensional (a point based on X and Y plane (i understand this a slightly fallicious statement but it doesnt detract from what im saying)).

Then he tells you what floor its on (the Z axis) so now we have 3d directions to a LOCATION. But you are looking for an EVENT so he tells you to be there at 9 o clock, so now you have X,Y,Z,T. 4 dimensions really isnt hard to think about.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll be pretty damn impressed if you can specify the location of an arbitrary event in the universe with less than four real numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. You need at least four, right? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Sorry.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:27 PM

I thought time-space was one thing.

Time is the inability for one object to occupy 2 different locations simultaneously. Space is the inability for two different objects to occupy the same location simultaneously.

If there were no time then one object would be everywhere at once/infinite, and thus, there would be no space.

--going back to dimentia 5.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please dont post, you give all theists a bad name. Time is obviously a dimension, Im a senior in highschool and can see this a pretty evident. Think about it this way,
You want to meet someone for dinner in their apartment , they tell you the building's address which is two dimensional (a point based on X and Y plane (i understand this a slightly fallicious statement but it doesnt detract from what im saying)).

Then he tells you what floor its on (the Z axis) so now we have 3d directions to a LOCATION. But you are looking for an EVENT so he tells you to be there at 9 o clock, so now you have X,Y,Z,T. 4 dimensions really isnt hard to think about.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats a really good example for a highschool student your teacher would be proud show him/her the post
Old 10-13-2006, 10:12 PM

Stole it from elegant universe : )
Old 10-13-2006, 11:32 PM

Watch Threshold. Earth is invaded by a creature from the 4th dimension. This show didn't make it on the first go around. SciFi is bringing it back.