Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2006, 11:09 PM

Default Re: Yanks\' Lidle was poker fanatic

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Earlier this year, Lidle hosted a charity tournament for make-a-wish and raise 150k. He was known to be an avid poker player and maybe the most notable public player of any American pro athlete.

[/ QUOTE ]

By all accounts he seemed like a great guy. Sucks what happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not really true. He tended to throw his pervious teams under the bus after he left. It's sad that he died, but he wasn't without faults by a long shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does that mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

it means that he talked smack about them, or something to that effect.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of the negative comments towards Lidle by teammates are due to the fact that he was a replacement player during the last baseball lockout.
He was never admitted to the Players' Union as a result of that. I have to think that this means he won't get a pension from MLB and, since what he died doing is forbidden in his contract, the rest of his contract, this guy really put his family in a tough spot.
Yeah, he's a really good guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

if this is true

then die.

he played through the lockout why? cause he had to eat.

wasn't admitted to the union for it- heaven forbid a man take an unpopular stand.

no pension from the mlb for his widow and child? shame on them.

and he probably was a great guy- all of the things you listed say NOTHING about his character.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Earlier this year, Lidle hosted a charity tournament for make-a-wish and raise 150k. He was known to be an avid poker player and maybe the most notable public player of any American pro athlete.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not really true. He tended to throw his pervious teams under the bus after he left. It's sad that he died, but he wasn't without faults by a long shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Just ... wow.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dids,
Please outline all of your team sport experience for us. I think you probably have no idea what is like to be on a competitive team that has someone giving less than 100% effort.

I have always thought you have well reasoned posts, but I think trashing a guy whose family has just been through a tradegy like this is weak.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:19 AM

I have no opinion on Lidle as a person. I do however think it's better to trash people after they die. If they are alive you will just make the feel like doodoo.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lisa Olson's column today certainly agrees with that assessment:
[ QUOTE ]

I remember smiling at the kid, but certainly didn't stress over his comments. We had an hour to deadline, and where was the player we needed to interview? Next thing I know, Lidle was marching the boy over to where we stood, and explaining to him that we were there doing a job, and it didn't matter if we were girls, and then he started to point out the difference between print and broadcast and how the industry worked, how fans wanted to hear what players had to say, and by the end of Lidle's civic lesson, I wanted to turn around and give him a hug.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/st...p-388013c.html
Old 10-13-2006, 10:44 AM

All,

Lidle's wife will get his MLB pension of ~160k per year until she dies. However, it is very unlikely she will get his $1.5M MLB life insurance policy unless they can prove that the instructor was in control of the plane at the time it crashed.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:05 PM

I actually played in one of Lidle's Make-a-Wish tourneys at the Hard Rock in Vegas. He had a lot of SNG qualifiers at peoples houses to qualify for the $1500 (I think) entry. He went to most of these himself and actually dealt the table that I won. He was a SUPER nice guy and very cool to talk to. This was about 1.5 years ago.

I think Thomas Keller actually won the ~125 person event (not positive though). There were several invited celebrities that played (Keller was the only poker celeb) and it was a really fun event that raised a lot of money for the charity.

Lidle really seemed sincere about wanting to help those kids and certainly appeared to be a solid guy. I remember being surprised at how humble and giving he was considering that he was a professional athelete.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:38 PM

I played a 7pm daily at Binion's with him and his wife last January. My wife played too, and went out about the same time as Mrs. Lidle did. They stood on the rail together for about three hours before I finally got elimated (Cory was still in).

I had only been playing about two months at the time and he was a great inspiration to me as he had outplayed me BAD in the first two pots I entered.

He was sincere and decent, not what I've come to expect from pro athletes. His wife was a sweetheart. I grew up around airports and airplane, and my heart goes out to everyone in this deal.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:25 PM

how has nobody mentioned this?? it all seems so obvious to me...

lidle was a big poker fan right, and played online. is it JUST a coincidence that the anti- online gambling bill got passed 2 DAYS after his death? i think not.

clearly this is a massive government conspiracy to display their dominance over the poker playing community. we must be vigilant, and we must let the nation know the truth....