Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2006, 10:58 PM

Default Re: Do Christians, Muslims and Jews all believe in the same god?

I'm not going to argue right or wrong. The OP asked a question and I responded with the belief as I believe.

I respect the fact that you have a belief that is different from mine and all I ask is that you grant me the same respect.

We (Christains) get our belief that Jesus was more than a prophet from the Word (our written bible). In John 1, it is written...
[ QUOTE ]
1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was with God in the beginning.
3Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
14The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us.

[/ QUOTE ]

The bible had many prophets, but Jesus was the only one said to be God.

dandy
Old 10-14-2006, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not going to argue right or wrong. The OP asked a question and I responded with the belief as I believe.

[/ QUOTE ]I am not arguing right or wrong. I answered thw OP with the facts.[ QUOTE ]

I respect the fact that you have a belief that is different from mine and all I ask is that you grant me the same respect.

[/ QUOTE ]I don't ask you to respect me from my beliefs, for I have none. The fact that you have beliefs doesn't make you respectable in my view. Some people may have shared Hitler's belief about the rightness of a genocide, that does not make them worthy of respect, far from it. [ QUOTE ]

We (Christains) get our belief that Jesus was more than a prophet from the Word (our written bible). In John 1, it is written...
[ QUOTE ]
1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was with God in the beginning.
3Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
14The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us.

[/ QUOTE ]

The bible had many prophets, but Jesus was the only one said to be God.

[/ QUOTE ]That fact that it says so in the bible doesn't make it a fact, in the same way that the fact that it says the opposite in the koran and the judaic tradition doesn't either.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:53 AM

"The fact that you have beliefs doesn't make you respectable in my view. Some people may have shared Hitler's belief about the rightness of a genocide, that does not make them worthy of respect, far from it."

Funny how Not Ready also likes to invoke Hitler to make his points.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"The fact that you have beliefs doesn't make you respectable in my view. Some people may have shared Hitler's belief about the rightness of a genocide, that does not make them worthy of respect, far from it."

Funny how Not Ready also likes to invoke Hitler to make his points.

[/ QUOTE ]

NotReady and I may be thinking the same way. Just is that NotReady is also believing! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2006, 07:17 AM

Thinking further on your post, I sincerely hope that I am not seen as trivialising the holocaust with my readiness to make reference to it. I am not. As far as genocide, it has never been equalled in its atrocity, it should be remembered and I would hope that it would be known as such to most posters on these forums and be able to be used as reference.

I could mention others genocides, (armenian by the turks, Bosnia, the hutus, arguably, vietnam by the US when they bombed rice fields with only women and children, etc..), but I think most of them would be meaningless to US citizens.

I could mention massacres, a couple probably even bigger than the holocaust (Stalinist purges, Mao Ze-Dong great leap forward) but those were not genocides per se.

Anyway, I'll make sure that any future references I may make to hitler or the holocaust, is done with full awareness and sensitivities about the issues.

Having said that I stand by my post. I think that many nazis thought of themselves as very good christians, and many good christians ignored what was happening in Germany thru convenience.

Having gone so far, I would also like to differentiate the Judaic religion/sects from christian and muslim sects. The former not being evangelical and being much more pragmatic in my experience. I think that evangelical, and "revealed", religion is a deadly combination.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Christians, and I believe, Muslims worship the Jewish God. The one they say created the universe and administered the Earth for a long time in an undebatable way (undebatable between those three groups that is). They have a disagreement about what that God did or said within recent times.

Why was it necessary for me to be the first one with this simple obvious answer?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is closest to the correct answer. It's called Progressive Revelation. The idea is that God sends a new prophet/messenger for different time periods.

Jews believe in God A. Christians believe in God A and that God A sent Jesus to save us all. Muslims believe in God A, that God A sent us Jesus, and that God A sent us Muhammad afterward. So it all depends on who you ask. Jews don't believe their God sent Jesus and Christians don't believe their God sent Muhammad.

The standard reply from Christians is that Muslims can't believe in the same God that they do or else they would believe that Jesus was the son of God and the only way to salvation. Muslims contend that that is only one way to interpret the bible.

So basically they are all the same God, but each of the older religions will never accept this or else they would convert to one of the newer ones.

I personally think it's silly for Christians to say that Muslims don't believe in the same God that they do. By definition the Muslim God is the same as the Christian God. What Christians should say is that Muslims are mistaken that Muhammad is from God, not that there are different Gods.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's pretty close as I understand it. Keep in mind that what each religion believes about the nature and characteristics of that God are vastly, vastly different. Muslims do not believe that God is a loving God, that he is one to be submitted to, conversion by submission in essence. There are (if I can remember correctly) 99 names for god in the koran, none of which have to do with love. The Bible (the Old Testament or the Torah or whathaveyou) contains names for God like Abba Father. Judio-Christian beliefs hold that this God is a personal, loving God; one that would send his one and only son as a sacrifice for the sins of mankind.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That fact that it says so in the bible doesn't make it a fact, in the same way that the fact that it says the opposite in the koran and the judaic tradition doesn't either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe true, but the fact that the Cardinals won in dramatic fashion while you guys were making your posts has got to mean something, no!? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2006, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Having gone so far, I would also like to differentiate the Judaic religion/sects from christian and muslim sects. The former not being evangelical and being much more pragmatic in my experience. I think that evangelical, and "revealed", religion is a deadly combination.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess because belief is stupid it is O.K. to be ignorant about various religious beliefs, eh MidGe?

Islam is both a revealed religion (where do you think Mohammed got it from?) and evangelical, depending on what you mean by that word. It is Greek, eu angelion, or good angel. 'Angel' however, really just means messenger. To be "evangelical" means to spread the good news, which is Christ's resurrection. Though there are some Christians who call themselves "Evangelicals," all Christians are really, or should be, evangelical. I guess for Islam it is the "bad news": convert to Islam or we'll kill you. (kakangelical??) However they probably would look at it as spreading the truth-- it is still evangelical.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:05 PM

That is exactly what I said, judaism is NOT evangelical. Islam and christianity are. Don't know wherethe ignorance from comes from!
Old 10-14-2006, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I think this is closest to the correct answer. It's called Progressive Revelation. The idea is that God sends a new prophet/messenger for different time periods.

Jews believe in God A. Christians believe in God A and that God A sent Jesus to save us all. Muslims believe in God A, that God A sent us Jesus, and that God A sent us Muhammad afterward. So it all depends on who you ask. Jews don't believe their God sent Jesus and Christians don't believe their God sent Muhammad.

The standard reply from Christians is that Muslims can't believe in the same God that they do or else they would believe that Jesus was the son of God and the only way to salvation. Muslims contend that that is only one way to interpret the bible.

So basically they are all the same God, but each of the older religions will never accept this or else they would convert to one of the newer ones.

I personally think it's silly for Christians to say that Muslims don't believe in the same God that they do. By definition the Muslim God is the same as the Christian God. What Christians should say is that Muslims are mistaken that Muhammad is from God, not that there are different Gods.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's pretty close as I understand it. Keep in mind that what each religion believes about the nature and characteristics of that God are vastly, vastly different. Muslims do not believe that God is a loving God, that he is one to be submitted to, conversion by submission in essence. There are (if I can remember correctly) 99 names for god in the koran, none of which have to do with love. The Bible (the Old Testament or the Torah or whathaveyou) contains names for God like Abba Father. Judio-Christian beliefs hold that this God is a personal, loving God; one that would send his one and only son as a sacrifice for the sins of mankind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think this is true. But that's a question of what God is like, not who God is. I guess it's just semantics again. It's the same being in all three religions, but they might disagree on what he is like.