Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2006, 11:30 AM

Default Conspiracy with online bill?

I read the following quote in a pool forum in regards to the online bill, and it makes me wonder:

"Ha, as soon as Bush and all his cronies load up on the plummeting stock prices of these online gaming outfits, the bill will get repealed and they will make BILLIONS off our dumb asses..... imo"

I eventually think that it will be legal to play online, and that the government will get their share of the pie at some point. But can this quote have some truth?
Old 10-10-2006, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Conspiracy with online bill?

[ QUOTE ]
off our dumb asses..... "

[/ QUOTE ]

That part is true.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:06 PM

I don't know about that, but the conspiracy I hear is that companies such as Harrahs and MGM wanted the bill passed as part one of their attempt to corner the US online poker. If US players (or 98% of them who are too lazy to circumvent the legislation) are shut out of online gaming, the foreign sites will stop getting rakes from us.

Part 2 will be when Harrahs and MGM get legislation passed allowing licensed, regulaed and taxed websites opened and hosted by, guess who?

Just download, type in your name address and social security number and you can play NLHE on Caesars.com, Harrahs.com, etc...
Old 10-13-2006, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know about that, but the conspiracy I hear is that companies such as Harrahs and MGM wanted the bill passed as part one of their attempt to corner the US online poker. If US players (or 98% of them who are too lazy to circumvent the legislation) are shut out of online gaming, the foreign sites will stop getting rakes from us.

Part 2 will be when Harrahs and MGM get legislation passed allowing licensed, regulaed and taxed websites opened and hosted by, guess who?

Just download, type in your name address and social security number and you can play NLHE on Caesars.com, Harrahs.com, etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard this. Is what you're suggesting is that the sites from harrah's, etc. will ONLY allow US players? Because if that's not the case I see no reason why I wouldn't go back to ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww party poker.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:27 PM

There is no evidence of a conspiracy. Bush is certainly NOT loading up on fucking PARTY POKER STOCK. Is this a fucking joke!? Is this what we've come to in this country? My god, I hate the guy, but he's not scamming the public for gambling money. Do you know what Halliburton and other military contracting companies are worth? Party Poker is a waste of time. I'm embarassed to think that people believe this.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:52 PM

I could see the B&M-controlled online poker market allowing foreign players, as long as they pay the IRS on their winnings at those sites.

I'm just saying only US players would be restricted to those sites. Foreign players could play at Party.com or Harrahs.com or wherever else they pleased.