Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2006, 12:41 PM

Default Reading opponents online.

Ok, in live games its easier to read people because of tells as well as betting patterns than it is online, but how do you read players online in tough situations?

Say player from button raises 3x BB (150) and your in the BB with a pair of 7s.
You re-raise, he calls. Board comes
4d Qc 9s and he C-bets.
Do you raise here, knowing he is a very loose player that will call you with anything and probably raise you or put you in on the turn?

What about this: Button calls, SB calls, your in BB and check your option with 6 9. Flop comes 7 8 7 rainbow. Its checked around. turn comes K, no possible flush now. Checked around. River comes 10, giving you a straight. In this situation I bet out the size of the pot making it look like a steal, hoping someone might have been slowplaying trips.
I bet pot with my straight, button folds, SB puts me all in (about 5x pot). Was he playing back at my "steal?" was he slowplaying trips and thinks he has best hand? Does he have a boat? What should I do here?
Old 10-13-2006, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Reading opponents online.

First off on the second problem. I would have bet on the turn to see where everyone was in the hand. This will give you an idea of where you stand plus give you some info on you opponent if you have paid attention to how he plays. I know he could have anything at this point, but no reason to slow play here and give anyone a free card. Plus this will disguise your hand as chasing a straight as well. More than likely someone has trip sevens and is slow playing them. You need information. This will do one of two things. You will either win the hand right there or you will get called and be building the pot. They will not put you on a draw and this point. You catch your straight on the river. I think a smaller bet is better to get the odds correct for them to call. They are either putting you on a steal of they have the trips. I doubt they would have hit a full house here. They will more than likely raise you more but not all in and you will be getting the right odds to call at this point. Try and give yourself easy answers to calling betts. You cannot throw this hand away unless you are certain they made a boat.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:23 PM

don't listen to scarby, he gave some pretty bad advice there.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:41 PM

I'm w/ Glory. Does anyone know of any good indicators for reading your oponents? Old threads or anything? Thanks!
Old 10-14-2006, 05:49 AM

there are no betting patterns online
Old 10-14-2006, 08:15 AM

Just variation, when a player has been betting slow, goes on tilt and bets fast, he normally is bluffing. Normally...
Old 10-16-2006, 04:58 PM

In this case, much to my surprise, the guy actually flopped a full boat.. I REALLY thought when I bet big and he pushed me he was "re-stealing" and making a move. I was very confused but he got the best of me... I have a hard time finding out when opponents are making moves or havw a legitament hand online.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:31 PM

This is what I do. (For purpose of these examples, i assume i just sat down and know nothing of other players, in which case i play a bit tighter than if i have observed them for a while.)

First case:

Button raise after folds around, I think this might be a real hand, but also could very well be a steal attempt. I reraise to see if he just folds the steal attempt. It's called, so now i am giving him a little more credit for a real hand.

I completely miss the flop. He comes out with a bet, which i sorta expect, normal c-bet stuff, but I also think he would bet if he made a hand, too. Anwyays, I toss the hand. No reason to continue here. He could just be bluffing with a c-bet, but no reason to get tricky here with a reraise. I missed, there is reason to think opponent hit flop, I muck.

Second case:

I'm on BB with 69off. I'm happy to check along and see a flop. Flop is pretty good for my hand, I have an OESD. Two checks. Now, I would expect that if someone had flopped a set with the sevens, they would check it here hoping to slow play it. But also, if they missed they would likely check. Against poor players, every now and then I would bet the flop when it is checked to me. Now, if they are thinking players they would know that if I flopped a set, i would likely check along on a rainbow board, which is why i won't make the play against thinking players. Here, i don't know much about my opponents, so i'll just check and see if my straight fills out.

Turn brings a K. My first thought is this is a good card to try a steal attempt if it is checked around. It is checked, and i woulda bet about half the pot. Button woulda folded and SB woulda called. Call tells me he likely has a hand, or perhaps a draw. He could just have an 8 and is feeling weak.

River brings a good card for me, 10, giving me a straight. But, i am always warry when the board is paired. Let's say I bet half the pot here, a value bet i think. then SB shoves all in.

This is a tough spot. Ultimately, my call here will depend a lot on how much the SB has behind, and if it is a small enough amount that I should call. Even if it is a small shove, and i feel i have to call, im not liking it. I feel that i may very well be beat here.

Let's think about what he has. The only thing im worried about is a boat. So, what could he have in hand?

KK is out (preflop and flop action).
78 possible and 10 7 possible. So is 88.

Because this was a limped pot, im going to be even more careful.

Could he be doing it with just the set of 7s? Maybe, but he checked turn. I would expect him to raise my turn bet with his strong hand, hoping that i indeed had a K, if he just had a set. His push on river tells me he has a real hand, he wants a call, and I have shown him that I have a hand by turn bet and river bet. So it's no bluff.

It's looking like a boat here, and with the paired board, and the limped hand preflop, I'm not ready to get it all in if he is sitting on a bunch of chips with his push.

I fold.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:00 PM

How could you have an OESD when the board pairs 10s on the River?
Old 10-16-2006, 11:51 PM

Where do you see the board pairing the 10? I'm confused.