Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2006, 12:54 PM

Default Re: MSNBC Article - it is \"unenforceable\"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Furthermore, he noted, existing customers will have icons on their desktops that can “dial out” to one of hundreds of phone numbers that will connect them to the overseas gambling sites.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't the writer mean "IP adresses" here, and not phone numbers? The idea of having to dial in via telephone line and play with slow [cencored] dial up makes me want to puke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will someone plaese clarify this point for me; did they actually include language in the bill that give ISP's a list od gambling sites to block? This is the first I've read that such a thing is actually incluided in the bill.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Bah, good article, but at this rate there won't be much left to enforce if the sites keep dropping like flies.

[/ QUOTE ]

blah, we got stars, ftp, absolute, and neteller, f the rest of them.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So the PPA plans to get Bush to convince Congress that poker is a game of skill?

Somebody please start a PAC. The PPA must be run be people who have no clue as to how the US political system operates.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe not the best tack but after reading how it appears many will (rightly?) be more or less poking Congress in the eye over internet gambling, it could be more important than ever now to separate out poker from other kinds of gambling before an angered Congress revisits this and really clamps down (a couple big assumptions in there but I'm not feeling particularly emboldened no matter how the election turns out - poker is/always has been on shaky ground in U.S.)

With this close call (I'm hoping) and a bit of breathing room now, I think the push should not be 'how can we get around the legislation' or 'have we found enough loopholes for business-as-usual' but 'how can we permanently get poker out from under this nebulous gambling stigma?'
Old 10-13-2006, 01:19 PM

The story just made the front page of MSNBC.com. This is the biggest coverage yet.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
His organization is pinning its hopes on winning an exemption from the ban as a “skill game” from a card player in a position of power – President Bush. [/b]

Bolcerek cited a February 2004 article in “American Thinker” magazine that reported, “By reputation, the president was a very avid and skillful poker player when he was an MBA student” at Harvard University in the early 1970s.

“We’re talking about an American tradition that is 150 years old … and is now mainstream,” he said. “We’re hoping that an old poker player would appreciate the wisdom of that argument.”

[/ QUOTE ]

Bush used to do drugs, too, but I doubt he's in favor of legalizing them now. LOL

Man, that PPA president is a bigger moron than the US president. No wonder the PPA has been so ineffective in preventing this debacle.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Furthermore, he noted, existing customers will have icons on their desktops that can “dial out” to one of hundreds of phone numbers that will connect them to the overseas gambling sites.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't the writer mean "IP adresses" here, and not phone numbers? The idea of having to dial in via telephone line and play with slow [cencored] dial up makes me want to puke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will someone plaese clarify this point for me; did they actually include language in the bill that give ISP's a list od gambling sites to block? This is the first I've read that such a thing is actually incluided in the bill.

[/ QUOTE ]

The new law makes a blocking list possible, but no list exists yet AFAIK.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:05 PM

I'm sure Party would be back and I hope no one shows up at their tables when it happens.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:06 PM

can an internet service provider block a gambling website?
i keep getting mixed answers....
Old 10-13-2006, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
can an internet service provider block a gambling website?
i keep getting mixed answers....

[/ QUOTE ]

Will they be given a site to block? Likely.

Can they block the listed site? Likely, else why give them a site to block?
Old 10-13-2006, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if this has been posted yet in the other threads.

New online law is "uneforceable".

[/ QUOTE ]

Bah, good article, but at this rate there won't be much left to enforce if the sites keep dropping like flies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, we started with only 1800 rooms and we are now down to what about 900? More consolidation means better/more games at good sites like Tilt, UB, Stars, AP etc.