Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2006, 09:45 PM

Default Re: Sports: How far did you go?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I played golf for an NCAA div I program.

Turned pro right after college, and played full time for 6 years. Last year I got through the Stage 1 of PGA Tour Q-School. If I had made it through Stage 2, i would have been guaranteed at least partial Nationwide status.

Unfortunately, I have forgot how to swing a club this year, and as a result i have run out of sponsorship money. I've decided to pursue a career as a golf instructor.

Hopefully I can try Q-School again though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

This deserves a thread, in my opinion. I'd love to hear about this, e.g. what you shot, what tour you played on, how it worked (what's it called, "rabbiting" or something like that?), etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would definatly be a good thread. One of the dealers at Seneca tried going pro but had to give it up after a year because it just couldn't afford it. There are a lot of intersting stories about guys trying to make it in golf.

I play D1 hockey and if I really wanted to after I could probably play a few more years of pro, but it would be in a [censored] league and I would be making pennies compared to what I would make working in the real world. Assuming I graduate...
Old 10-12-2006, 09:54 PM

I am currently a pitcher for a top 5 junior college baseball program. We came in third place at the World Series last year, hopefully we can win it this year.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Played in cricket Semi Pro for my county, never made a first team appearance, but played in the second XI once or twice.

[/ QUOTE ]

What county, jaffa? And bat, bowl, keep wicket?

While at school I got into trials for the national Under 19 team, but didn't make it. I played club cricket for >10 years after school, a couple of those being at the highest level, which I guess is equivalent to 2nd XI county. I played alongside Jimmy Adams for some of those years - he passed me on the way up! I also did a couple of weeks at the cricket school at Lords when I was 16. The only player that I had any recollection of afterwards was an aggressive batting all rounder named Dermot Reeve.

Oh, I kept wicket.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:44 PM

baseball- little league and junior high, played in the Little League World Series and lost to the team that eventually won the whole thing. throwing curveballs at a young age ruined my elbow and to this day i cant play catch for longer than 20 minutes.

football- played in high school, after the first year i messed up my achilles tendon. my clame to fame for that one year was i gave 2 quarterbacks concussions and broke one running backs leg. I was a defensive end.

basketball-i used to be bigger than everyone when i was little and i was good, then everyone started gettin taller and i started to suck.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:55 PM

Started on varsity soccer at Oshkosh North High School my sophomore year. Was first-team all-conference and honorable mention all-state my junior year. Started getting recruited by some Division I teams ... and then I stopped caring, had a [censored] season my senior year, was only second-team all-conference, and I played one year of serious club ball in college before hanging up the goalie gloves and becoming a live-in resident of the college newspaper.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:05 PM

Mr. November,

What JUCO?
Old 10-12-2006, 11:05 PM

I was very serious about x-country skiing when I was a kid, and considered moving away from home to train at the start of high school, but decided I didn't want to leave home so eventually gave it up. Played v-ball, and b-ball in high school but was always average, ran x-country junior year but couldn't seniour year because of a suspension. Now I sail on my college sailing team, but we are very non-competetive and I usually end up in the bottom 3rd of fields (sail FJ's and 420's).

Sports are tons of fun, but nowadays I'm mostly just a gym rat.

-SmileyEH

edit; im canadian so yes i played hockey until i was 14.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:21 PM

I grew up playing two sports competitively. lacrosse and hockey.

As far as hockey goes, I played AA and AAA hockey in the Toronto area, complete with scouts and everything. I planned growing up to go to the OHL but ended up in university when I (and im sure the scouts, if they had been given the chance), decided I wasn't good enough to go to the show (NHL).

Plus even though I loved hockey more, I was better at lacrosse.

Before Israel I played lots of lacrosse growing up in Whitby and Toronto, winning a couple Ontario Lacrosse Association championships. I ended up playing lacrosse at University of Toronto the best we ever did was 4th in the country, losing by one to tournament hosts Western Ontario in the Bronze medal game while Brock destroyed Guelph in the final. Our team had a bunch of current and former NLL players, but I ended up at the bottom of the talent barrel, in law school.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:40 PM

Played a year of Junior A hockey (league below OHL) could have probably played university hockey but I didn't really want to put that much effort in. I doubt I could have played in the OHL, maybe with a [censored] ton of work I could have been a 5th or 6th defence man. My major problem was my shooting and puck movement.

Football I played high school and in a "varsity" league outside of school for 4 years. Since my university doesn't even make cuts (we are clearly not a powerhouse) I could have played but had no desire to. Also this was in Canada so I assume it was pretty far below the level of play in the US.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol @ park and rec leaguers who know all of their stats

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, everybody's stats are kept on the league webpage. Also, this is a poker website...is it that shocking that a poker player who plays baseball would know his stats!? ZOMG NO WAY. We only play like 40-50 games in a calendar year. Not too difficult to remember stuff.

How the hell else are you supposed to make sure you are improving?