Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2006, 04:08 AM

Default 3/6 hand

VPIP this month in PLO8 is 27 (i generally only play full tables, dont like SH)

.7 pf agg 2.2 river agg

W$@SD 59

over 7K hands

villains knows who i am, plenty of history, esp. this week, prob. 2K hands vs. eachother since last Friday.

I've been buying in short to the tables lately(last few sessions)....mostly because I think there's significant strategic adv. to doing so. It takes away the ability to make a mistake on the turn a lot of times, where I feel my play in PLO8 needs improvement, probably needs to me more agg. on the flop, but that's a whole cart before horse arguement. Anyways, ive been sitting with half and usually getting up when deepstacked if i get there, although at 3/6 i'm comfortable playing with 250 BB's.

one limper, I raise to $15 in CO, BB re-raises to $50ish. limper folds. I just call. BB is thinking player better than break even, etc., but too agg pf.

I've got Ac3cKxKx, btw.

(i pop most players here but it worried me since he's in OOP and he knows i dont raise much preflop)

Flop

4c 7s 8x (rb)

He checks...

(i have $325 and he covers by 3x)

trap?

he tends to keep pots small when he has a strong but vulnerable hand (like having AA3x here) but then again he will c'r fairly often. i've bet this spot before with nut low no decent draw at a high hand and been forced to laydown to pot sized check raises, so i'm in a conundrum here since my hand does have SD value but whether or not it's a hand i want to play a big pot with i dont know here.

play the hand for me 2p2.....

-Tex
Old 10-11-2006, 04:34 AM

Default Re: 3/6 hand

i might take the free card the majority of the time... probably lead the turn if checked to again.

getting checkraised is always one of my least favorite things.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:55 AM

Good post tex.

I check behind and hope for a king or deuce on the turn. You are behind to almost any reasonable holding (unless he's the type to reraise with JT99 or some crap like that). Just about any AA hand that has a working low is ahead of you, as is any A23 hand. If you bet a half pot then he might checkraise your weakness, and if you're checkraised after a full pot bet you'd probably have to call even though you could be drawing to a small half the pot at best.

You say the BB is too aggro preflop. By that do you mean he is the type to reraise any moderate A2 hand? If so then this is a check behind imo.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:56 PM

i 3bet this pf, i want to get as much in as possible, especially if he has a problem with being too aggressive pf. as played, check behind and re-evaluate.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:01 PM

i agree with 3betting preflop more often than not. the only hands we really have to worry about are the AAxx hands, and we cover enough EE against an A23x hand. esp since you said this is a normally very agressive player preflop, his range is a little larger than just AA2x. i def. try to get as much in preflop as possible here, esp if ur buyying in short. (this tells BB that we are pot committed to the cause, so as a smart player he knows he cant really call preflop with just some minimal holding of A2xxr)

as played, take the check behind. i smell a check-raise like woah. re-evaluate the turn, but if checkd to again, i might have to say PSB.

just my2cents
Old 10-11-2006, 05:37 PM

i've seen him open for 3x bb in EP with suited A2, suited A3, and lots of A/wheel/wheel/x hands, which is why i'm confused here. he knows i dont raise much preflop. i know he raises a lot preflop. he knows that i know that he knows this, blah blah blah, which makes the flop play really difficult. what scares me on this flop is how often he'll be on a free roll with a random A2 hand.

in the hand, i checked behind on the flop, and mucked to a half pot bet when a 3 hit the turn.

obviously there's a lot of easier turn cards to talk about, and a 3 was maybe a great card for me/terrible card for him in terms of letting me get away from the hand if i was in a bad spot.

all [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]'s that dont pair the board, K's and 2's are pretty easy to play, but i'm wondering what action would be correct if faced with a half pot bet on the turn if the 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] fell.

<shrugs>

tough spot.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:13 PM

Yeah, that 3 is the best 'non helper' card possible. Against a tricky player the half pot on the turn can be torture. It's a steal as many times as it's a piece of cheese. I would have recommended throwing a half pot out there in your 9 diamonds scenario, for that exact reason.
If you aren't the type to occasionally throw that half potter out there when you have a monster then it's just going to be raised, so that isn't always the best option.

This is where having that short stack is more of a hindrance than a help I think. Proper ss play (if there is such a thing) probably requires you to pot that flop and push any turn.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:49 AM

I know you hate comments about things before the question you asked but this is *absolutely* a reraise preflop because (a) the range of reraising you have given him but most importantly (b) the fact you are short. There is little point buying in short if you're not going to make the most of hands such as these.

gl

dd
Old 10-12-2006, 04:52 AM

yeah, i understand that point of view, and i'm not discounting it at all, there is merit to that arguement for sure. but in that moment, the only thing i'm thinking is 'he knows i dont raise preflop, wtf is he doing'?

but, as played, what are your thoughts?
Old 10-12-2006, 03:33 PM

I would've played it exactly the same, that isn't a good flop for your hand.

Preflop: I think either a call or re-raise is all right, although you can very well be dominated.

Flop: I hate this flop, the fact that you got re-raised makes it even worse. I check and hope for a good turn.

Turn: worst turn ever for you, the fold is automatic.

If the 9 comes and I face a half pot bet, I fold. I just give up and wait for a better oportunity, specially since it's full table. I don't think you're scooping here. You might try to re-raise and steal but why the risk?