Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2006, 02:35 PM

Default Sports: How far did you go?

Though the consensus is that the majority of OOT are overweight, degenerate gamblers, I assume it will have some athletes.

By how far did you go, I mean high-school sports, college-sports, etc. Why did you stop? How far do you think you could've gone? Bonus points if you somehow managed to play semi-professional\professional.

My story: I played soccer in high-school. I was one of the better players on my team but our team wasn't that good so it wasn't too impressive, we were however pretty good for our size (about 100 males in the high-school). My senior year we went 12-3 and 2-3 games into the post season.

Also played basketball. I had the athleticism\speed but didn't start playing basketball until highschoool so my fundamentals weren't that great (shooting\left hand), and I'm white and 5'10. Played shooting guard\occasionally point guard. My basketball team was actually very good, I didn't contribute much at all but really enjoyed it.

College: Rowing\Crew. This sport honestly doesn't interest me nearly as much as soccer\basketball. I think given the time\interest I could make a very solid lightweight rower (under 165 lbs). However, my team isn't overly competitive and the intensity of academics at my school makes it difficult to find people interested in putting the amount of time in that it takes.

Share some sweet stories..
Old 10-12-2006, 02:40 PM

Default Re: Sports: How far did you go?

I once won a powerball tournament.

Wait, that was online.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:40 PM

Paging Sup Bro...Mr. Bro, you're wanted on this thread.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:48 PM

CC - lol

OP - didn't go that far, but there are definitely some great athletes on this board (tdarko plays pro ball, for example).

For myself, varsity highschool basketball and baseball, then lightweight crew freshman year of college (stopped cause it was too much of a time committment). Just intramurals, pick-up sports after that in college and beyond.

Only sweet story I have is that I'm pretty sure I gave up the longest homerun in the history of varsity baseball at my home field. Oh and it was a walk-off for them too.

-Al
Old 10-12-2006, 02:50 PM

1 year of JV basketball. Quit to chase girls, drink, other HS stuff.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:51 PM

I played Basketball/Baseball/Golf in high school and although basketball was my first and only love I just couldn't compete with guys faster then me. I had heart and I worked my tail off but it wasn't in the calling to move onto the next level unless I wanted to do a walk-on type D-3.

My last two years of high school I got more and more into golf even though I was raised by a golf course I never truly took it seriously until then. We won state my senior year and off I went to a D-1 university to play college golf.

The minute I knew I wasn't going to go any further in golf like semi or pro was when I shot a 75 in cold,rainy, and hail gust windy conditions and thought I had a good chance to win a tourney or at least help our team win. A guy shot a 65 and I was at a loss. I worked hard it but I just had too much fun in college to think about the next step.

But ultimately the next step led me to coaching. I always was good with coaches and the players and worked my tail off and that realy helped in landing me a job. I got a job as an assistant on both the men's and woman's team for the same college team I played for the year before.

I did that for two years then worked for a golf magazine and am now chasing a normal non sports career. Ok thats me in a nut shell.

Chicago
Old 10-12-2006, 02:51 PM

i beat like 6 korean kids at table tennis.
got 3rd in a 3 on 3 basketball tournament when i was 14 or so (out of about 20-30 teams). i was also my teams leading scorer *i think* so i was pretty good for my age.

next closest things to a sports achievement: had a performance rating around 2000 in a tournament or 2 of chess. beat some 2600+ computers at 3 minute chess. beat at least an FM in 3 minute chess online.

EDIT: never played on a school team for anything, other than quiz bowl and academic decathelon(tied for the gold medal at state in mathematics WOOT!). so these achievements are how 'far' i went. i think this is what the OP was looking for [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2006, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CC - lol

OP - didn't go that far, but there are definitely some great athletes on this board (tdarko plays pro ball, for example).

For myself, varsity highschool basketball and baseball, then lightweight crew freshman year of college (stopped cause it was too much of a time committment). Just intramurals, pick-up sports after that in college and beyond.

Only sweet story I have is that I'm pretty sure I gave up the longest homerun in the history of varsity baseball at my home field. Oh and it was a walk-off for them too.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Al's secret identity revealed(?):

Also, I sucked at sports hard for the first 21 years of my life but I have at least been able to get to where I wouldn't embarass myself playing any sports through exercise.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:52 PM

Played 4 years of baseball and football in HS.

Played 4 years of D-2 baseball in college.

Been playing baseball in the MABL (18+) and MSBL (30+) now for 10 years. It's a rec league, but fairly competitive. I'm pretty f-ing far from my college weight, but I can still rake.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:53 PM

Dragon - hahaahahaha