Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2006, 08:03 PM

Default Calling Pre flop with AK, AQ, AJ, A10

I'm playing $1&$2 STT's NLHE and finding mid way through that players who dont need to make a move quite yet, but very close, say an M of 5 or 6 will go all in. When I call, more often than not they are holding a med or low PP. If I'm holding say AK, AQ, AJ or A10 and have up to (but not more than) twice as many chips as him I'm starting to fold these hands as is it worth putting the future of my touny at risk for a coin flip? I use VC so PT will not record my toury hands so im not sure how accurate this is but Im sure the odds seem to add up but my thought is by playing this situation it increases my varience so when im having a bad run its worse and visa versa.

Also because its low stakes, at the beggining you quite often get the fish that go all in Pre-flop with Ax or any PP, you also get the slightly better fish who will go all in pre flop with high PPs and AK - A10 (however at the beggining you dont know which is which. I have have the same thoughts about eliminating calling with AK - A10 for the same reasons.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated as so many people say things like how can you fold AK pre flop??!!! But there seems real sense in folding in these situtaions in the long run IMHO.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Calling Pre flop with AK, AQ, AJ, A10

Woah woah woah. Post specific hands. This is beyond vague. Post a specific hand & then ask what range you should be calling/shoving with or what stack size you should be shoving/calling with based on your hand if you want a more general response.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm playing $1&$2 STT's NLHE and finding mid way through that players who dont need to make a move quite yet, but very close, say an M of 5 or 6 will go all in. When I call, more often than not they are holding a med or low PP. If I'm holding say AK, AQ, AJ or A10 and have up to (but not more than) twice as many chips as him I'm starting to fold these hands as is it worth putting the future of my touny at risk for a coin flip? I use VC so PT will not record my toury hands so im not sure how accurate this is but Im sure the odds seem to add up but my thought is by playing this situation it increases my varience so when im having a bad run its worse and visa versa.

Also because its low stakes, at the beggining you quite often get the fish that go all in Pre-flop with Ax or any PP, you also get the slightly better fish who will go all in pre flop with high PPs and AK - A10 (however at the beggining you dont know which is which. I have have the same thoughts about eliminating calling with AK - A10 for the same reasons.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated as so many people say things like how can you fold AK pre flop??!!! But there seems real sense in folding in these situtaions in the long run IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is far too general. I'd need to know your stack size, players remaining, their stack sizes, and positions before I give you any kind of answer.

As far as how you phrased it, I might insta-muck or insta-call. It's just too general.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:37 AM

FWIW Id shove PF
Old 10-12-2006, 09:59 AM

Soz I know its vague im not too good at explpaining it but also its not A specific hand im talking about its a specific situation. I'll try and summerise a hypothetical situation:

NLHE $2 9 Seat STT, Blinds 100/200, 6 players left

UTG 1 Folds
Villan (1650) raises all-in.
CO Fold
Hero on the button (2800) AQo

Right this is my hypothetical situation. My AQo could be either AK AQ AJ or A10 suited or not. What I'm finding in general in this specific situation the villain more often than not is holding a med PP or AK AQ AJ or A10 (suited or not). So more often than not when I call its pretty much a coin flip. Now if ive got a lot less chips then im defiantly calling and if i have a lot more chips then I'm also defiantly calling. In this situation I am thinking of elminating the call from my play when the chip stacks are as they are in my example and the reason for this is that I have 2 options:

Option 1: Call and pretty much flip a coin to who wins. If I win then great! If I loose then I'm crippled and without some major luck am going to be knocked out outside the money. This leads to a bigger variance in the long run.

Option 2: Fold and carry on stealing pots where I can, while waiting for good hands (which I do very well) which more than 50% of the time will lead me into the money (top 3 places). This leads to a slimmer varience and a more steady increase in bank roll (which is my main objective).

This situation seems to occur on quite a regular basis.

So basically in this specific situation my theory goes option 1; means when things are going good they will go very good but when things are going bad they'll go very bad. Whereas option 2 gives me a more steady increase in capital. Thats the theory anyway, I hope this makes more sense.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Right this is my hypothetical situation. My AQo could be either AK AQ AJ or A10 suited or not. What I'm finding in general in this specific situation the villain more often than not is holding a med PP or AK AQ AJ or A10 (suited or not). So more often than not when I call its pretty much a coin flip. ...

[/ QUOTE ]

AT, AJ are coinflips?

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 56.4876 % 49.21% 07.28% { TT-66, ATs+, ATo+ }
Hand 2: 43.5124 % 36.24% 07.28% { AJo }

Hand 1: 64.3834 % 56.80% 07.58% { TT-66, ATs+, ATo+ }
Hand 2: 35.6166 % 28.04% 07.58% { ATo }

AQ yes:
Hand 1: 48.9344 % 41.83% 07.10% { TT-66, ATs+, ATo+ }
Hand 2: 51.0656 % 43.96% 07.10% { AQo }
Old 10-12-2006, 01:19 PM

Yeah sorry another not very well explained point. I ment if we're both holding one of AK AQ AJ A10 in the long run its a coin flip who's dominated.