Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2006, 01:12 AM

Default Re: best drummer of all time

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
his timing was bad, sorry. Spend a few days with him in a recording studio and you will agree.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're a recording engineer or producer? Who's the best drummer you've worked with?

[/ QUOTE ]

unfortunately by the time I usually got to the record the drums were recorded. I'd have to say Sterling, I think I worked with Dennis Chambers once but I really don't remember anymore... I know I knew him back when I did this for a living but I don't remember recording with him anymore. I worked on a few Ginger Baker records, but I never recorded him or met him. Check out all the stuff produced by Bill Laswell that he worked on, like Material.

PS: I WAS an engineer, but the money sucks. Its been 8 years since I've worked full time.

Old 10-12-2006, 01:32 AM

lol, awesome story TT.

fripp>god
Old 10-12-2006, 03:09 AM

There are certainly more technically proficient drummers than Bonham, but that man had both thundering power and funky rhythm (TONS of feel). He has created several very awesome beats that are instantly recognizeable and define the song (r n r, gtbt, wll) . He was the reason Zep was the best live band. I will also go out on a small limb and state that When The Levee Breaks is THE greatest drum beat ever. It's like the first or second most sampled beat ever. I hear it literally everywhere. Was it a difficult beat, [censored] no. It was just great.

Also, great sound, a lot of drummers (maybe they're just bad?) sound like they're banging on a tin can. Perhaps credit is due to Jimmy Page for producing all their albums and trying out different mic placements or whateverthehellhedid.

Anyways, if you like him, there are some studio outtakes from In Through THrough the Out Door located here
Old 10-12-2006, 04:13 AM

Chris Pennie is nuts...

My head pretty much asplode seeing him live.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, great sound, a lot of drummers (maybe they're just bad?) sound like they're banging on a tin can. Perhaps credit is due to Jimmy Page for producing all their albums and trying out different mic placements or whateverthehellhedid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally don't give the producer the credit for the drum sound, 95% of the time they just say "I want it to sound big" and then its the engineers job to make it happen. Zep's sound is as much because of Eddie Kramer and his assistant Andy Johns (brother of Glyn Johns, engineer for the Beatles). Mic placement on the drums was most likely actually done by Andy with direction from Eddie, of course this cannot be easily proven without asking them but historically thats what was done.

Old 10-12-2006, 09:46 AM

dont guess anyones gonna mention Marco Minneman or Thomas Lang either
Old 10-12-2006, 11:52 AM

Gadd is god and a really nice guy.
Thomas Lang is a freaking machine. He is the epitome of German biological engineering in the form of a drummer. Plus he actually has some groove.
John Blackwell that plays with Prince is good too.
On top of everybody already mentioned some good metal drummers are Gene Hoglan (Death, Testament, Death Angel) Richard Christy (Death, Iced Earth) The Rev from Avenged Sevenfold, Chris Adler (Lamb of God) and quite a few more that I can't think of off hand right now.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Steve Gadd

[/ QUOTE ]

TT, have u ever checked out the chick corea album called four quartets. It has Eddie Gomez, Micheal Brecker, Corea, and Gadd on it. Amazing album and it really shows off gadd's chops. THere is also a very cool version of Confirmation at teh end of the disk with corea on teh drums and brecker playing, just a duet

[/ QUOTE ]
It's called 3 quartets, but has 4 tracks. Extraordinary.

My vote goes to Art Blakey. He had/has more respect from top jazz musicians than anyone else.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:05 PM

you guys who are into the math-core type stuff have to give it up for damon che (i think that's his name anyway) from don caballero, that guy is so [censored] dirty. he plays in his boxers, i think so his caulkpiece can act as a double bass pedal.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally don't give the producer the credit for the drum sound, 95% of the time they just say "I want it to sound big" and then its the engineers job to make it happen. Zep's sound is as much because of Eddie Kramer and his assistant Andy Johns (brother of Glyn Johns, engineer for the Beatles). Mic placement on the drums was most likely actually done by Andy with direction from Eddie, of course this cannot be easily proven without asking them but historically thats what was done.

[/ QUOTE ]
TT,

I can guarantee you that Jimmy Page had more control over Zep's sound than your average producer/bandleader. He came up with the idea to use distant miking on Bonham instead of way up close. He was also very into manipulating the tape to produce new sounds. That effects part on Whole Lotta Love is tapes, theremin, drums, vocals. All JP's idea.

And that drum sound on When The Levee Breaks? Jimmy Page. Recorded from a stairwell in the castle they were using to record IV.

Anyways, Andy Johns almost ruined the master tapes to LZ IV.