Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2006, 07:12 PM

Default Re: A Caveat not mentioned

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
PokerStars believes that poker is a game of skill enjoyed by millions of players and we remain committed to providing you a safe and fun environment in which to play, until the final applicable regulalations are published and enforcement begins .

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed their formal announcement [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think that's the real announcement. LOL In any event, this is definitely great news for the time being.

It will be interesting to see how far the government goes in enforcing this law. If people like Lee Jones start getting indicted and extradited, I think Stars will change its tune very fast.

This is definitely very good news for now, though.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
PokerStars believes that poker is a game of skill enjoyed by millions of players and we remain committed to providing you a safe and fun environment in which to play, until the final applicable regulalations are published and enforcement begins .

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed their formal announcement [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think that's the real announcement. LOL In any event, this is definitely great news for the time being.

It will be interesting to see how far the government goes in enforcing this law. If people like Lee Jones start getting indicted and extradited, I think Stars will change its tune very fast.

This is definitely very good news for now, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

God damit we gotta do a march on washington....enough is enough....let's not make the same mistake twice

Indy
Old 10-11-2006, 07:14 PM

yea Im sure Lee Jones is going to get extradited real soon.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:15 PM

Default Re: Stars Announcement..Ship It Holla

Great news!

And it's a good sign that it came out the same day as Neteller. Makes me think that Neteller will continue to deal with poker sites, not just non-poker US. Now if the US banks don't decide to ban Neteller I think we're all set.

I also noticed the first-time 100% deposit bonus on PS until end of the year. Not sure if this is new, but I like it, everyone will be playing there soon enough.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As a Stars regular, my impression is that Stars games are slightly tougher than most other sites, especially Party, meaning that bringing players from other sites to Stars is probably a good thing.

[/ QUOTE ]I think every site is tougher than Party. Toughest site I've played on is UB.

All I know is as long as Stars keep the 180 SnGs filled and HORSE tables available, I'll be happy.

Great news indeed!

[/ QUOTE ]

The period of Party being much softer than other sites ended about a year ago, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed
Old 10-11-2006, 07:16 PM

All,

I don't think this announcement changes anything. Just makes it more likely that Stars rather than UB or FullTilt becomes the new biggest poker site.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Stars will now be double (or more) every other site, with Party #6 or #7. I wouldn't count Party out, though.

Full Tilt has been growing faster than either of them, as has Ongame. This will be interesting to follow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since 80% of Party's business is in US, they should drop to about 2-2.5K players on PPScout. That will place them about 9th or 10th ... I seriously doubt their ability to expand significantly in Europe, since (1) poker is not NEARLY as huge over there (2) Other sites will have much more traffic, much more money to advertize and incite Europeans to switch over.

This indeed will be pretty exciting to witness - the Darwinian justice at work [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] P%ssies die off, and strong and bold survive to grow even stronger! Woohoo!!

[/ QUOTE ]

well, you are subtracting 80% of of a base that is already being abandonded by US players. just 2 weeks ago they had 15,000 players, and had consistentely been around 13k - 14k for a while. also, 75% is a more realistic number of US players, so take 25% of 14k, and you are left with 3.5k players, or right with Paradise at #5.

the other point is that sites #8 - #14 are pretty close to each other, and Party will still be a good bit ahead of all these guys, keeping them in the "front pack" of sites.

regardng Europe, it's bigger than you think. There are sites already banning US players that have big players base.

regarding money, Party has a lot of money to spend on advertising...as much as most sites. I'm not sure how you come to this conclusion.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im not trying to be a downer or anything, I just wanted to create the other side of this argument. I want to be sure this statement by PokerStars is more than "Oh, Poker is a game of skill, so this new bill doesn't involve us".

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think they spent the last 2 weeks to just come up with that? Of course Stars can't guarantee that they'll be able to operate in the US forever, no one can. What they are saying is that they're committed to doing what they can to continue to do business here, which is much better news than "In 48 hrs. you no can play here." I know that Stars officials met with governement reps in their home countries, presumably to talk about extradition, and I'm assuming they examined many other legal issues as well. The "poker is a game of skill" is just one of the many prongs in the strategy that online poker sites will be using to try and circumnavigate this bill.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

I don't think this announcement changes anything. Just makes it more likely that Stars rather than UB or FullTilt becomes the new biggest poker site.

[/ QUOTE ]

UB has taken more backward steps than forward. but it's awesome for elimination blackjack!!!

Full Tilt and Ongame are run a lot better...I don't think UB will ever be more than a 2nd tier player (as they are now)
Old 10-11-2006, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, I disagree. With every site that shuts down it's US operations, we lose a certain amount of dead money that won't redeposit somewhere else. Keeping the Stars share of dead money in the game is pretty huge IMO.