Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 12:26 AM

Default Re: Harrington 1 or Little green book?

Harrington, by a long way. I feel like Harrington teaches you in more detail, so you really understand a topic. Gordon's book is nice supplimental reading, but you're understanding of NL will be so much stronger if you read Harrington first. Plus, I think there are some aspects of Phil's book that could be misinterprited and get a beginner in trouble.

You'll want to read Harrington twice. Maybe sandwhich Gordon's book in the middle.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If this is the case, i think it would make more sense to read phil's book first. If phils book is a quick overview, you should start with that. Especially because harrington's is a 2 part book and the 1st one only covers the first half of tournament play. I have not read the LGB yet, but from what it sounds like it will set a good foundation that you can then build on with harrington's books.

[/ QUOTE ]

Up to you. My point is that without the foundation that HoH gives, I personally feel that much of the reasoning behind the wisdom in LGB will be lost. HoH is like a textbook, LGB is like cliffnotes. Both provide the information except one is much more in depth. Just my opinion, won't hurt you either way.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:58 AM

I tend to think of it the opposite way. If HoH is the first book one reads for learning how to play the game you see on TV, I think it'll go over most people's heads. If I hadn't read Hellmuth's "Play Poker Like the Pros" or, for that matter, "Theory of Poker", I don't think I would have been able to digest HoH (which I'm in the middle of right now).

In short, from what I've heard about Gordon's book and HoH, it sounds like they're marketed to different poker consumers.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In short, from what I've heard about Gordon's book and HoH, it sounds like they're marketed to different poker consumers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree. I order both at the same time. Started reading HOH, but due to work overload, I stopped. I grabbed The Lil' Green book, because of it's smaller sections.

Gordon's book is presented in, basically, the same way Gordon speaks on the Celeb. Poker Showdown. It is very straight forward and easily understandable for any poker player. It's a good read and flow very nicely.

So it depends on what you are looking for. No solid answer here.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:11 AM

[b]I was rereading Small Stakes Hold 'Em by Sklansky last night and decided to do a count of the poker library. The count was 40 and of those Harrington on Hold 'Em I is the most useful book - it has helped me improve my game more than any other.

But your question is LGB or HOH ... which one to read first?

My recommendation is Gordon's LGB. It will help you establish a foundation to build on - it was organized nicely by topic and gave a lot of insight into the thought process of a big time tournament winner. It also is a much smaller book to digest and learn from.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If HoH is the first book one reads for learning how to play the game you see on TV, I think it'll go over most people's heads.

[/ QUOTE ]

HoH was the first book I came across in the bookstore earlier this year after deciding (after watching WPT for a few months) that I would like to start playing poker tournaments.

I had zero experience with poker of any kind, and I am so glad I started with this book. Plus, it pointed me to 2+2 as a side bonus.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:58 PM

I have not read either but from the looks of it, your not going to lose much by reading one before the other. If you read both, you should not have any problem.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:54 PM

HOHv1 was the first poker book I read cover to cover. I had bought others, but never finished them. I had Super System, read Doyle's section on NLHE, then played a tournament in a local B&M. Knew I was dead money, but enjoyed it and made it through 3 levels without getting much of anything to play, and without a rebuy. Anyway, HOH came highly recommended by a guy I played with who did quite well in the tournament. I read it, got an online account at stars, and can't complain about my results in MTTs.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:54 AM

I actually got them both at the same time recently. It would be a tough decision as I think they are two of the best books available right now. Gordon's Little Green Book is amazing. The odds he discussed makes me wish I knew all of it by heart. He covers so much in that book. If I ever learn all of it, I should be in good shape.

HOH really discusses your decision making in tournaments and has some good exercises and examples. I think I would want to read HOH after reading Gordon's book. It's almost like letting Phil Gordon tell you what he knows about poker, then getting tested by the master.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:11 AM

Seeing that you have over 2,000 posts, I would bet that HoH would be better for you. LGB is geared towards "advanced beginners". If you've read TPFAP and played 500+ tournaments online, you will learn little new info from LGB.