Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2006, 09:24 PM

Default Re: Party Poker Pop-up

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
WHY THE HELL DIDN'T PARTY ATTEMPT TO MOBILIZE THESE PEOPLE SOONER????

[/ QUOTE ]

They are a publicly traded company about to face an immediate 60% decline in revenue. They want people playing on their site as long as possible.

It's smart business on an issue they could not have prevented based on the 409-2 vote on the House floor. The bill was a done deal back in July.

Getting a "carve-out" is the current issue and mobilizing the masses immediately before people's playing is cut off will probably spur more people to action and focus the attention of the consumer's backlash. If 70,000 emails are sent in one day it will go more noticed than if 70,000 emails were sent in 90 days.

Think of it as an online March on Washington.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a really crappy strategy. And I'm not just saying that using 20/20 hindsight. To try to undo now what has already been done is a monumental task. Bush is going to sign the bill. Congresses next session will be a lame duck session. Writing letters now is a waste.
Being noisy, even if it created attention, was still a low risk strategy. It was our only chance.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well they did in the past have a link to the PPA sign-ups. They knew like everybody else that this bill wasn't going anywhere. To say that they should have seen an end-around bill stuffing coming is a little unfair. I think that everybody agrees that this was a cheap political move, and is contrary to the foundation of what is supposed to be the way our country works.

[/ QUOTE ]

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I'm still in shock at the industry on this one.

Happens more frequenly than you'd think. I find it amusing (not in the case of course) that corporations somehow think things in government won't ever impact them or that it couldnt possibly happen this year.

See Microsoft for example before their court case. They could have spent probably 10% or less of what they spend now annually on lobbying/gov't affairs and had a positive impact on the outcome of their situation.

Only one of many examples I'm afraid
Old 10-10-2006, 09:38 PM

I thought I'd add another productive post to what seems to be a productive thread. Because well that's what I do. Hope all this productivity works out for you guys like it does me.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:08 PM

To Whom It May Concern

I am a voter, I am a poker player and I am mad. For once, please stop overlooking the Constitition, the supposed separation of Church & State, and consider all the benefits of the enormous tax revenue that would come from regulated online poker. I will continue to play poker legally live where permitted, and it is truly nonsense for me not to be able to do so online in the comfort of my home.

As you know, under your watch, Congress passed legislation that prohibits me from playing the great game of poker on the Internet. This legislation impacts millions of online poker players in the United States and billions in tax revenue, and certainly deserves more debate and thought than took place with this back-room deal. You have an opportunity to correct this injustice.

Poker is a great American game with deep roots in this country. Throughout history presidents, generals, Members of Congress, Supreme Court justices and average citizens have enjoyed poker with family and friends. Poker is what I like to do for entertainment, just like a round of golf or going to a movie. If I want to spend a portion of my salary on my hobby, such as buying a boat, why can I not spend it playing a game that I enjoy and can play live legally already here in the states?

Additionally, I demand that poker be declassified with other forms of gambling. Poker is not a game of chance. It is a game where performance is merited and a community game where the "house" is not your competition. These are real and significant differences. Simply putting the word "Internet" in front of poker does not change the qualities of the game and it should not make the people who play it suspect. If you are to classify poker as gambling, then I would strongly urge you consider whether investing in the stock market is also considered gambling under that line of reasoning.

I am urging you to support amending this new Internet gambling law so that it has an exemption for poker. Please note, that other forms of Internet gambling such as horseracing, lotteries and fantasy sports are ALREADY protected under this law. An exemption for poker is not unreasonable, it is good public policy and would help preserve and protect an American tradition. It is a slap in the face to see state-run lottery scratch-offs with poker-related themes when that game is outlawed unjustly.

I look forward to your support for a poker exemption and I look forward to my next opportunity to express my opinion with my vote.

Again, I am a voter, I am a poker player and I remember.

Faithfully,
Old 10-10-2006, 10:17 PM

Bitching isn't really going to help. Yes, PPA and PP both should've gotten on the ball a long time ago. But whining about it now isn't going to change anything. Might as well send the pop up letter and hope for the best.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:32 PM

day late/dollar short...

How they did not think to do this earlier this year is just appalling.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Happens more frequenly than you'd think. I find it amusing (not in the case of course) that corporations somehow think things in government won't ever impact them or that it couldnt possibly happen this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those of us who were working in IT during the Y2K fiasco know this well. Of course that was the disaster that never happened, but the point was there was a fixed deadline that everyone knew was coming since, oh, the invention of the computer but no one did anything about until there was a looming crisis.

Most businesses are managed from crisis to crisis. I guess they take on characteristics of we dysfunctional humans, magnified.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:46 PM

Agreed. But, to say that we have just reached crisis now is ridiculous. The alarms should have been going off when the House passed the Bill.