Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2006, 08:39 PM

Default Re: Closest you have come to dying

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was robbed in my parents' home at gun point.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No

[/ QUOTE ]

Meaning?
Old 10-09-2006, 08:42 PM

I was hit by a truck when I was ten on my bicycle. My right knee took off the handle bars of my bike and I flew thirty feet in the air.

I spent a week in ICU and three months in the hospital. I couldn't walk for another 8 months.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:44 PM

I've been at gun point twice. Once while I was in a canoe in the boundary waters between Minnesota and Canada...that really sucks. No where to go and nothing you can do. I have a paddle and he's in a motorboat.

The other time my cousin got wasted and comes over with a shotgun screaming "I'm gonna blow you away mother [censored]." Well, I didn't know what to do...wierd thing was I grabbed a pillow and put it in front of me [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] You can't really make fun of that until you've been there.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:33 PM

Unfortunately, i've been close twice. Once by gun point and another i was hit by a bus while in my car.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
#1. When I was in about the sixth or seventh grade, I had it my head that I wanted to be a Navy SEAL. So I found big wide drainage pipe, about 18 inch diameter and about ten feet long and somehow got the monster into our swimming pool. I then decided to hold my beath and try to crawl through it underwater. All I remember is getting stuck in the middle and panicking. The next thing I remember is smacking my face into the side of pool.

No idea how I got out of that, but I did this with no one around because I knew they would try to stop me.

#2. Was into free climbing when i was in high school and got stuck 60 feet off the ground with no where to go. Hands were tired and feet were slipping. Not sure how I got of that mess either, but I remember seeing the rocks below and thinking this is it.

[/ QUOTE ]

My God! So nice to know there's someone as stupid as I am out there.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
#1. When I was in about the sixth or seventh grade, I had it my head that I wanted to be a Navy SEAL. So I found big wide drainage pipe, about 18 inch diameter and about ten feet long and somehow got the monster into our swimming pool. I then decided to hold my beath and try to crawl through it underwater. All I remember is getting stuck in the middle and panicking. The next thing I remember is smacking my face into the side of pool.

No idea how I got out of that, but I did this with no one around because I knew they would try to stop me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. That freaks me out just thinking about it.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:13 AM

Drowning is my #1 fear of death.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:55 AM

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the weird slow motion that happens when you're in a near-death, high-adrenaline situation. When I was in high school I was riding with a friend in his Ford Ranger pickup, and he mistakenly let his truck veer into the gravel shoulder while he was looking for something under his seat. He overcorrected and we ended up flipping over two or three times, and the whole scene seemed to unfold in slow motion. I couldn't believe how many thoughts I had in those couple seconds; everything from how much it would suck to die at 17, how my family would take it, and also trivial observations, such as how the roof seemed to not crush too much when it landed on the road. In probably a tenth of a second I remember thinking "OK, the truck is rolling slower, I think I've made it." Thankfully we both had seatbelts on and just had cuts and bruises, amazing really. (I ALWAYS wear seatbelts now) The truck landed on its side and we got out through the back window, which had busted out from torque. Oh, and if you are in a car accident and the staff at the hospital tells you your neck will hurt the next day, even though it doesn't hurt at that instant, believe them. Goddamn.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:12 AM

I woke up a few nights ago and I'd puked while I was asleep. I almost drowned on my own puke while I ran to the bathroom gasping for air.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the weird slow motion that happens when you're in a near-death, high-adrenaline situation. When I was in high school I was riding with a friend in his Ford Ranger pickup, and he mistakenly let his truck veer into the gravel shoulder while he was looking for something under his seat. He overcorrected and we ended up flipping over two or three times, and the whole scene seemed to unfold in slow motion. I couldn't believe how many thoughts I had in those couple seconds; everything from how much it would suck to die at 17, how my family would take it, and also trivial observations, such as how the roof seemed to not crush too much when it landed on the road.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point. I was in the Seattle earthquake in 2001, working downtown (for those that don't know, downtown Seattle is built on landfill; 100 years ago, Seattle had hills as big as San Francisco, but they were all washed down into Elliot Bay, which is the fill downtown is now built on). I was also in a brand new, earthquake-proof building, meaning it's built on rollers, basically. When the earthquake hit, the building did exactly what it was supposed to do, which is roll with the waves. But while in the building, it feels like the whole building is coming down.

The earthquake lasted about 30-40 seconds, but I remember it felt like half an hour. And I went through a whole thought process that started with, 'Hey, this is cool, I'm finally experiencing a real earthquake,' to, 'OK, it would be nice if this would end now,' and finally thoughts of the building collapsing, how this might be it, and I'd really like to talk to my family right now before this building caves in so I can tell them I love them.