Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2006, 07:17 PM

Default Re: It\'s Time to Fight!

[ QUOTE ]
These companies were spending millions every day to advertise their sites. That money could be diverted to outlets that would make all Americans aware of what is going on in Washington, and the threat it presents to everyone. Surely the sites could join forces and buy full-page ads in USA Today, The New York Times, etc. as well as buying slots on TV channels across the country. The internet is the greatest aid to free speech in history, and could be used to help get the word out. Media-created poker stars such as Phil Hellmuth, Doyle Brunson and Daniel Negreanu, could join Mike Sexton, as well as celebrities such as James Woods and Jennifer Tilly and would be listened to if they presented the case to the public. Talk shows, both on television and radio would eat it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great ideas. I would agree with you 100% if this were 6 months ago. Where were you and your famous buddies BEFORE the bill passed?
Old 10-09-2006, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While this is a well written post with good intentions, it is pretty much useless. If I handed this in to one of my better professors, there would be red ink at the top margin stating 'summary, C-".

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget a penalty for tardiness.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:23 PM

I think most posts on forums are pretty much useless. A forum is a place for someone to state an position or opinion. My purpose in writing the post was to:

-Register my outrage at the way it was passed. Certainly, the sites shoud have been lobbying a long time ago. However, it appeared the bill had little chance of passing.The way it was snuck through was a shock to everyone, as it should be. If legislation on moral issues is allowed to be passed into law by a small group of powerful politicians, our way of living is essentially theirs to decide.

-To register my disappointment at the response of the sites. They basically cut and ran like scared rabbits. I guess I'm hoping this might get through to them and motivate them by letting them know that if they don't support us in this fight, we won't support them if we should win.

Whether my post will motivate anyone to do anything is doubtful. But, it's better than doing nothing.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:54 PM

Your post is appreciated, Blair. Many of us share the same sentiments and will be voting accordingly in the midterm Congressional elections and our choices of sites if this all shakes out positively.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think most posts on forums are pretty much useless. A forum is a place for someone to state an position or opinion. My purpose in writing the post was to:

-Register my outrage at the way it was passed. Certainly, the sites shoud have been lobbying a long time ago. However, it appeared the bill had little chance of passing.The way it was snuck through was a shock to everyone, as it should be. If legislation on moral issues is allowed to be passed into law by a small group of powerful politicians, our way of living is essentially theirs to decide.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they had been lobbying a long time ago, there wouldn't the same 'shock' situation that came about as it were. As far as morality is decided in law, I will leave that to others.

[/ QUOTE ] -To register my disappointment at the response of the sites. They basically cut and ran like scared rabbits. I guess I'm hoping this might get through to them and motivate them by letting them know that if they don't support us in this fight, we won't support them if we should win.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I understand, you have an above average voice in the poker community. What have you done specifically in regards to online poker sites? What motivation beyond unorganized emails and phone calls do you think will command their attention.

[/ QUOTE ] Whether my post will motivate anyone to do anything is doubtful. But, it's better than doing nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly why I'm posting. You, presumably, have access to greater resources than than the average online player, at least greater than posting on this forum and sending a few emails. What do you have in mind, specifically, going forward with these ideas? If you are not able to post them on a public forum at this time, I understand, but please say as much.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As far as morality is decided in law, I will leave that to others.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may want to think a little harder about this.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:53 PM

LOL. Pounding sand would achieve just as much. But I hope your post made you feel better.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As far as morality is decided in law, I will leave that to others.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may want to think a little harder about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not the forum for that topic.