Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2006, 06:49 PM

Default Re: stars sunday million -- flop flush and st8 draw

I think the power of the hand is in the combination of FE and your draw, so raising to 1200 is asking to get AI when maybe, just maybe you don't have to flip yet. That said, I don't think it's terrible to raise and call the push unless you decide ZOMG HE HAS JJ FOLD somehow...I just think it negates half the power of your hand.

I hope he had AJ and you hit your draw and he cried.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:41 PM

I don't think you can call here becuase if you miss on the turn, villain will probably fire again and might shut you out of the pot, and if you hit, he might not give you any action, denying you of the implied odds you need to make this a correct call on the flop. I like pushing the flop, he might fold hands that are beating you right now (QJ,J9,etc.) and if he calls you probably got plenty of outs. Worst case is of course is if you're up against a bigger draw (AJ,KQ of diamonds) but if I call preflop with this hand and flop like this, I play it very aggro.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:06 PM

i would just push, nothing wrong with giving him a chance to fold
Old 10-09-2006, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I hope he had AJ and you hit your draw and he cried.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks everyone --- my gut was telling me to get all my chips in, and even though I did, I see why pushing was better, I gave up all my FE. I am really working on my aggression and find sometimes I am way over-aggressive in dicey spots and still under-aggressive in others.

Results-wise, he had AA, so I was 55% and I am pretty sure he was calling a push in any event. His AA held, I was the one crying and he went on to take 2nd place in the tourney -- clearly if I had won this flip I'd be about 80 K richer. Heh.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:10 PM

villain is a donk with a bankroll 30x as large as mine.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
villain is a donk with a bankroll 30x as large as mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess a few more things went right for him in the 10 or so hours between this hand and the FT! Bankroll envy is an ugly thing.

Plus, it's hard not to be short-term results oriented when one fears that on Friday PS will not let me play there anymore and this would be my last Sunday million shot . . .
Old 10-10-2006, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
maybe you don't have to flip yet

[/ QUOTE ]
This is an important mis-conception.

You'd (much) rather do coin-flips (as a small fav) for your stack earlier than later.

Having build a big stack a) means facing fewer opponents that can bust you b) increases your stealing opportunities and c) increases the respect your bets/raises are met with.

[ QUOTE ]
I gave up all my FE

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not successful enough to challenge a player of Nath's caliber, but I still disagree in that you "gave up all" your FE.

At the time you didn't know you were up against a donk, and to a reasonable (thinking) player pushing for 5 times the size of the pot signals weakness - not strengh.

Against thinking opponents a well-sized raise looks so much more threatening than a big over-push.

In this case your raise clearly signaled you had faith in your hand (correctly, as it turned out) and wouldn't be bet out of the pot, and villian had obv. decided to get all the chips in the middle no matter what.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:36 PM

i actually don't mind a call here in this situation more than in some others.
There are 3 players behind us who all might have some piece. If they have a small piece, let's say, I dunno, T9 or a baby flush draw (BB checked 42d), they'll never be the first caller but may think they're priced in to chase a five outer. The plus of this is that no matter what you price in, all your outs (should) be live as it's unlikely anyone will have a bigger flush draw, and if you price in a hand like AQ... no big whoop.

I'd probably still push here, but calling is better in this spot than in some others.