Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2006, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Stars Update #2

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I've done some research on Wikipedia and it looks like the Isle of Man (where Stars is based) is in a different category than Gibraltar (where Party is based) in terms of its relationship with the United Kingdom. Whereas Gibraltar is a British territory, the Isle of Man is not technically part of the UK but instead something called a "crown dependancy".

[/ QUOTE ]

Nate, I thought Stars was HQ'd in Costa Rica with operations in Isle of Man. So isn't the important jurisdiction wrt extradition Costa Rica? Also, I was under the impression that extradition is not an issue if the other country does not consider IG illegal?
Old 10-09-2006, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I've done some research on Wikipedia and it looks like the Isle of Man (where Stars is based) is in a different category than Gibraltar (where Party is based) in terms of its relationship with the United Kingdom. Whereas Gibraltar is a British territory, the Isle of Man is not technically part of the UK but instead something called a "crown dependancy".

[/ QUOTE ]

Nate, I thought Stars was HQ'd in Costa Rica with operations in Isle of Man. So isn't the important jurisdiction wrt extradition Costa Rica? Also, I was under the impression that extradition is not an issue if the other country does not consider IG illegal?

[/ QUOTE ]

All of this is a little unclear. Stars is owned by an Israeli who lives in Canada. It operates out of the Isle of Man, although I believe that they still may technically be contained within a Costa Rican holding company (not sure). All over the map, quite literally.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Stars has to do this too. On Friday, Bush will be signing this law, and if Pokerstars accepts one deposit after that point, they will be breaking this law.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are probably technically 'breaking the law' just as much now by accepting deposits as they will be after the bill is signed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stars is located on the Isle of Man, as is Neteller. The US has no jurisdiction on transfer of money from Neteller to Stars.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I worked in a bank for a few years in the 80's. Banks do not like gray areas. If their counsel feels that having a company is primarily focused on only gambling transactions, they will close the relationsship with the "rogue" company.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why haven't they done so already?

There is nothing in this legislation that would require banks to cut off transfers to third parties who are not in the business of betting or wagering. And there's no grey area there; the bill is very clear about the fact that transfers to financial intermediaries (like Neteller) are okay.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

This has been brought up many times, name me 5 places I can spend my neteller dollars on merchandise, not gambling sites.

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly don't know anywhere to spend neteller $ that's not gambling related, but there's certainly places that aren't actual sites. 2p2, PokerTracker, PokerAce, and most of the other poker software sites allow Neteller payments. Granted I doubt that helps our case much, but it's not "just" gambling sites.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, pokertracker does not accept neteller as payment. The other sites allow neteller transfers, but are NOT neteller merchants. Ebay does not allow neteller as a merchant payment service even tho they allow 8 differnt sources that are not Ebay including Moneybookers.

Bottom line, there is no argument that Neteller has non gambling transactions.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Stars has to do this too. On Friday, Bush will be signing this law, and if Pokerstars accepts one deposit after that point, they will be breaking this law.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are probably technically 'breaking the law' just as much now by accepting deposits as they will be after the bill is signed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stars is located on the Isle of Man, as is Neteller. The US has no jurisdiction on transfer of money from Neteller to Stars.

[/ QUOTE ]

However, the United States certainly does have jurisdiction over the transfer of money from the United States to Neteller and Stars. Of course, you could always fly to the Isle of Man to make a deposit. LOL
Old 10-09-2006, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

However, the United States certainly does have jurisdiction over the transfer of money from the United States to Neteller and Stars. Of course, you could always fly to the Isle of Man to make a deposit. LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

The issue was whether Stars is breaking US law by accepting transfers from US players. Obviously Stars and Neteller are not breaking any law by transfers between them. Neteller is not in the business of accepting bets or wagers, so it is not breaking any laws.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:54 PM

How far off-shore are international waters?

Take a boat just far enough off shore with an ATM machine ala "The Simpsons" and make a deposit or cash out. Problem solved.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:03 PM

Taiga Bridge is an Alaskan bookseller who takes neteller. His inventory is mainly bridge books.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Taiga Bridge is an Alaskan bookseller who takes neteller. His inventory is mainly bridge books.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just went to the website. It looks like he is accepting peer to peer transactions. This is against Netellers T&C's.

Pokertrackers thread on Neteller Peer - to Peer transactions

Read the linky on the touble that pokertracker is having accepting peer-to peer transactions.