Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2006, 04:03 PM

Default It\'s Time to Fight!

The anti-internet gambling law that was passed through Congress last week has the internet- gaming community buzzing. Most of us are in shock, not so much by the passage of the statute, but at the way it was put through. Perhaps this state of shock is why the reaction from the online gambling industry has been so lethargic. As most of you know, the statutes were snuck through by being attached as a rider at the last minute to the Security and Accountability For Every (SAFE) Port Act. It was done this way because the proponents of the statutes were unable to get it passed through normal channels. In other words, they weren’t able to get enough votes to support the legislation, so they used an under-handed, sleazy strategy of attaching it to a bill that not only appears necessary for our national security, but also one that no dedicated politician would dare vote against if he wanted to seek re-election. That the man who engineered this coup, Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, would misuse his position of power in this manner is despicable. Let’s look at the implications of his actions:

-Poker is not illegal. In fact, it’s one of the most popular of American pastimes. It is not going to be eradicated, be it a pastime or profession, nor should it be. Yet, through the seedy actions of a few powerful politicians, millions of Americans who had previously enjoyed this popular activity in the safety and privacy of their homes will be forced to seek out and pursue it in potentially dangerous venues. Those who live within a reasonable distance of legal cardrooms will have to face the issue of safe passage to and from those venues while carrying sums of cash attractive to dangerous criminals. Those living in areas where cardrooms aren’t close will be forced to seek out unlicensed games,with the dangers that accompany them.

-If this bill is signed by the President, Sen. Frist and his small group of cronies will have forced their view of morality on the entire nation, with no debate and no proper vote from our elected representatives. This is far more dangerous than merely taking away a popular pastime of which they disapprove. It goes to the core of what America stands for and the principles that, at least in the past, had made us the beacon of freedom in the world. No freedom-loving American, poker player or not, should let this pass. The logical response should be “If they can get away with this, what’s next?” That question should scare everyone.

So, where’s the outrage? Are we all just meek lambs awaiting the slaughter? I don’t think so. Forums are bubbling over with anonymous voices incensed by this development. The problem is that there is no collective voice and power. Letters and phone calls to politicians will fall on deaf ears unless a real threat to re-election is perceived. While this issue has far-reaching ramifications, the immediate issue could be effectively challenged by those who have the means to do so--the successful poker sites. Their initial reaction was to duck for cover. Many are still doing so, although I hear that Mike Sexton and Party Poker are planning some things. We need more! These companies were spending millions every day to advertise their sites. That money could be diverted to outlets that would make all Americans aware of what is going on in Washington, and the threat it presents to everyone. Surely the sites could join forces and buy full-page ads in USA Today, The New York Times, etc. as well as buying slots on TV channels across the country. The internet is the greatest aid to free speech in history, and could be used to help get the word out. Media-created poker stars such as Phil Hellmuth, Doyle Brunson and Daniel Negreanu, could join Mike Sexton, as well as celebrities such as James Woods and Jennifer Tilly and would be listened to if they presented the case to the public. Talk shows, both on television and radio would eat it up. The PPA and WPA could join forces with them to make the movement more effective. Politicians will only act if they think they are in danger of losing votes. We need to let them know this is the case. Where is the downside to this strategy and why isn’t it being done?

Here’s some sample copy that I’d like every citizen to see:

In a back room political maneuver in Washington, a few powerful, self-righteous politicians slipped a rider on to a bill--The Security and Accountability For Every (SAFE) Port Act. This bill is concerns our national security, and no responsible politician would vote against it. However, attaching a completely non-related rider in order to get through a piece of legislation that they couldn’t otherwise get passed is a perversion of our political process. If this provision is allowed to pass, millions of Americans who enjoy playing the game of poker will be denied that opportunity. This is a travesty. Much more disturbing, however, is the fact that a small group with a personal agenda was able to pull off such a coup. In the past, riders were used by politicians to get favorable, pork-barrel legislation for their own states passed. While that was back-handed politics, it was relatively harmless. That this method is now being used to legislate morality should be a wake-up call to us all. It shows how brazen certain politicians are becoming in imposing their ideas of morality on the nation. All of us, including non-poker players, should be wondering which of our rights is next on their agenda? I urge everyone to register their outrage and let it be known that politicians and political parties that employ such unfair methods will be voted out of office. Write to your Congressmen, Senators and your President and make your feeling known. Tell them that supporting this could cost them your voter. Let your voice be heard.

Thank you.

This development has brought to light a real flaw in our political system that needs to be addressed. It should also alert people to the ethical standards of Sen. Frist, a man with Presidential aspirations. Perhaps this can be turned into a positive by making it a catalyst for political reform. It’s time to fight this fight, and we need to support of the all sites that we have supported over the years. Together we can fight the good fight.

Blair Rodman
Old 10-09-2006, 04:46 PM

Default Re: It\'s Time to Fight!

LOL two weeks late and a little bit crackpot.

One of the funniest things about all this is seeing how people are so outraged that our government is taking away our freedom like this, and yet when our government has done horrible illegal things constantly over the years it's been no big deal because it hasn't affected us directly.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL two weeks late and a little bit crackpot.

One of the funniest things about all this is seeing how people are so outraged that our government is taking away our freedom like this, and yet when our government has done horrible illegal things constantly over the years it's been no big deal because it hasn't affected us directly.

[/ QUOTE ]
While I agree that this type of response and effort would've been much more useful a few weeks ago, the simple fact is that it unfortunately took something as drastic as this bill to get people's attention. Let's not discourage this kind of enthusiasm for our cause. We have lost the battle but not the war. There are going to be significant developments on this front in the coming months and years, and we need not take a defeatist attitude. It's never too late to fight for what you believe in and make your voice heard, through public outcry, voting, and any other means. Any constructive actions taken from this point will count for something.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:20 PM

Blair, good to see you sticking up for the cause. Unfortunately, the only people who could have stopped this bill were some of the more powerful Senators. Even then, it likely would not have mattered because it was bad politics to fillibuster a port security bill. Alot of the more knowledgable posters on here were saying the threat was fairly high of this thing passing mostly becuase Frist was on a mission to get it done anyway possible. I think Bush has veoted one bill, so this part of the game is over.

But yeah there is a certain arrogance and corruption among both parties in washington. A move to a third party like the Libertarians would be great in my mind but would be difficult to make happen.

I think the main fight is to differentiate poker from other forms of gambling. But that could only be accomplished at a later time in the next Congress.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:25 PM

Blair,

Thank you for providing leadership. You're someone with a public profile in the poker world who is taking a stand. That's exactly what we need right now.

Perhaps you could broker a meeting between the yourself and the PPA to outline this strategy further (I know they're in touch with the various poker rooms). I would be willing to support your efforts in whatever way I could.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:35 PM

"Jennifer Tilly .. would be listened to if [she] presented the case to the public."

Yeah, right ...

Let's assume that is true, in an Nrogish sort of way, have ANY of them uttered a peep publicly about this ?

Mike Sexton, I can see, because he has recognition among poker players .... but that is the limit on even HIS reach .. maybe spur poker players to action.

The truth is that the supposed millions of online players, generally by word of mouth, are the best vehicle .... Think ANY of the Party Affiliates stepped up and urged meaningful political action to their player bases ? I do not mean .... "Send money to PPA", or some vague feelgood suggestion.

I mean tell players you think they should vote against this or that SOB because he voted for HR4411 and vote against Senator So and So because he/she publicly supported the ban which came into law. .... (Both these would cross party lines, by the way.)
Old 10-09-2006, 05:47 PM

LOL....where were you 6 months ago?

As to how it was passed...standard.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's not discourage this kind of enthusiasm for our cause. We have lost the battle but not the war. There are going to be significant developments on this front in the coming months and years, and we need not take a defeatist attitude.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-09-2006, 06:27 PM

I agree completely with you Blair. Very well said, I only wish there was a way to have what you have written made manditory reading [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Indolance in this case, ie the 'big money' people may have cost the rest of us dearly.

It is a mystery why people like Party didn't dive in and fight this ludicris bill long ago. They WILL lose millions and in a sick sort of way, I'm glad to see it. Their indolance in large part allowed this to happen IMHO.

YOU, IMO would be an excellent ambassador ( see your articulate paper above [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

If those with power, money in the industry don't step foreword, we are all going to pay dearly IMO.

Thank you Blair for stepping up. We can only hope more will read your supurb post either here or elsewhere.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:57 PM

While this is a well written post with good intentions, it is pretty much useless. If I handed this in to one of my better professors, there would be red ink at the top margin stating 'summary, C-".

Blair, as I noted, this post has definetely been made with good intentions. Everyone here appreciates any efforts coming from people with a greater voice in the community than the silent majority. My question to you is what are you focusing your efforts towards? If you are able to, please post your specific, day-to-day aactions in regards to this matter. Thanks