Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2006, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Pocket 2\'s, WSOP

When I think of ways I'd like to beat bad opponents, I think of getting 60BBs in the pot with 22. I can't think of better ways at all.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree it was a slightly ridiculous play. I didn't think he'd call the push at all, if I thought he'd even think about calling I would have just folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

What this comes down to in the end is that you need much stronger reads to make a play like this, and the situation for making this play does not come up very often at all.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:09 PM

Fold, if hero has been playing tight, UTG probably got a real hand here, and you're not deep enough to get the proper implied odds for hitting a set. I think the average good player, even if he's tricky won't mess around 3-betting here with air to often against a tight opponent.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree it was a slightly ridiculous play. I didn't think he'd call the push at all, if I thought he'd even think about calling I would have just folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly the point I was trying to make earlier, not thinking that your opponents are loose bad and call-y.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I think of ways I'd like to beat bad opponents, I think of getting 60BBs in the pot with 22. I can't think of better ways at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh
Old 10-09-2006, 05:32 PM

If you didn't have a super-strong read, you should fold this as you don't know what he's going to have. If you did have a super strong read, why didn't you wait until you had position on him and THEN punish him? AI with 22 is not the way I want to get the job done.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:34 PM

I don't care how strong your read is, reraising this into a full table just plain sucks.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:51 PM

Maybe the situation is opposite than you thought --- he had a really strong read on you and called with QJ cause he put you on a weak hand. If he'd seen you make the same play with AA, perhaps he picked up something from you to make him call.

I guess my point is that you can't always assume opponents are TOTALLY clueless, just because they are at least halfway clueless. Even if someone is clueless, 22 preflop is not really the hand to make a stand with, as others have mentioned.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:12 PM

Yeah. Many times this forum focuses on structure and standard plays (which is what it should do) but sometimes I want to see a thread dealing with the psychology of certain hands.

90 out of 100 times I fold after the initial raise.
9 out of 100 times I call the t1500.
1 out of 100 times I raise, when I feel very confident that I have a solid read.

It is easy to say the standard play is not to raise preflop, but sometimes you mix things up and try new strategies and this is a prime example. It was basically a bluff on my part, applying pressure with the push getting him to fold a weak hand. Having 22 isn't what should be focused on.
The villian seemed to be a decent player so it is very possible that he thought he knew what I was trying to accomplish with the push. So yes he could have had a really strong read on me. (But the villian didn't see me make the same play with AA because it was against a guy who was formerly in the villians seat)

Thanks for the input so far, positive and negative.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:16 PM

Why would you ever fold to the initial raise? I call that 100% of the time.