Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2006, 02:37 PM

Default broadway straight on paired board

A hand from live 10/20 the other night. Question mostly about my turn and river play.

A mostly solid player, but makes some somewhat loose calls postflop, raises UTG. A loose/weak calls UTG+1. 2 more cold calls in MP. I cold call on button with KcQc. BB calls.

6 to the flop (12 SB). Flop comes Ah Ts Tc. BB checks, UTG bets, all call except 1 of the MP cold callers.

5 to the turn (8.5 BB). Turn comes Js. UTG bets, UTG+1 raises, folds to me. I 3-bet.

A quick note on my thought process, when UTG+1 raised, I put him on trip tens since I thought he would just call with a boat and try to string a few more along. My main question is if I should just call and see if UTG reraises. I feel AT and of course JJ are in his range, but not JT.

Next question is if either of them 2 cap it, I am pretty sure they've boated up and I should just fold on the turn right? However, what do I do on river if they both call and river comes an offsuit 8? Or if just 1 of them call. Bet/fold?

Thanks for the responses.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:42 PM

Default Re: broadway straight on paired board

Yeah, I agree with your thinking here. At first I thought the flop call was a bit thin -- drawing to a gutshot on a paired board? -- but the pot is big enough that you can peel here in position.

I like the turn 3-bet, since UTG+1 looks like he slowplayed trips. And if you get 4-bet, it's a fold; you'll be spending at least 2 more BBs drawing dead to see a turned boat from UTG+1's JT.

If they both call, then I'd bet a river blank.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:44 PM

I agree that the flop call is a bit questionable. If the flop had a flush draw, I think that would be enough for me to fold on the flop.

In my head I was discounting my 15:1 pot odds on the flop to 12:1 since I figured around 20% of the time, someone will boat up by the river or make a backdoor flush. (This number is just an estimate I've made from experience. Is it about right or way off?)

Anyway, after I 3-bet the turn. They both called. River was an offsuit 8. They both checked and I pussied out and checked. I showed straight, and they both mucked. So I think privatejoker was right, I shouldve bet the river.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:52 PM

yes, given that they both just called the turn, and checked a blank river you def need to bet...

i also think the flop call is ok, you have a bd flush draw as well...
Old 10-09-2006, 10:48 PM

pf and flop action are fine, but of course, your decsion to continue with a paired flop made subsequent streets more difficult.

I think it's hard to fold to a four bet on the turn(after you've already three-bet), unless you're sure that your opponents will virtually never get post-flop spazzy in a large pot. But this may actually be a reasonable assumption live at this level.

That said, the pot is huge and it's only going to cost you on average about 1.88 BB or so find out if you're beat. We could do some math on this one, but I guess the calculations are very spazz-factor dependent.