Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2006, 02:54 PM

Default Re: 40/4 Fish seeking transformation to 30/15 (long)

The +15BB/100 is imprecise, it's actually 13.7 out of pokertracker. If I filter since 9/1/06 (playing $4NL mostly) the latest stats are:

Total hands: 8517
VPIP: 38.46%
PFR: 3.71%
Aggression Factor: 1.23
Amount Won: $7824.05
Win Rate Per 100 Hands: $91.86
Big Bets Won Per 100 Hands: 11.48

This isn't much out of line with the previous ~20k hands at mostly $2NL. PFR is a point lower now, BB/100 is 2 pts lower, total won is about the same.

Before that (~60k hands) I was playing differently, basically breaking even to slightly positive (building my bankroll up from playing smaller stakes).

I should mention, the difference between those previous 60k hands and the latest ~28k hands, I did make a few specific changes that really, really made a difference:
1. I never never multi-table any more. I think this made the biggest difference. When I was 3- or 4-tabling I couldn't concentrate on all 20-ish players betting patterns to get the right read. So my win/loss came down to more luck, ie whether my huge hands beat the other guys' huge hands. Now I do a much better job of recognizing when an opponent hit their draw & avoiding those biggest bad situations, avoiding paying off big river value bets, etc. It cuts down my hand count dramatically, but big difference in terms of bankroll.
2. Tilt. I have really gotten control of tilt. I can't emphasize this one enough. Of course the main benefit is to simply control & limit downside play. But there's also an upside benefit from table image: big benefit from being able to (1) take a really bad beat (2) quickly talk myself out of tilt (3) keep playing at the same table, while opponents read that my next big play is because I'm steaming. Big difference.
3. Position. Compared to before I avoid a lot of out-of-position draws or hit-to-win hands. Big difference.

The site is indeed pokerroom (nice hit!).
I'm skeptical you can identify me as my SN there is not stargazer (I'm only using that here on 2+2).
(you're welcome to post who you think I am.. If you do guess it, I'll be in awe)

I am reading the master sticky in the small stakes, good advice there. Thanks.

I think the biggest difference between what I've read in the **many** books (remember, I'm not a beginner, I'm a fish) is that they really push a LAG approach, bordering on maniac. The thing is, this is exactly the style I do best *against*, I seek out the maniacs and am able to beat them *under the circumstances I describe above*.

Which is why I'm really curious to hear more reaction about the "find-a-crazy-table and wait for big hands" philosophy.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Total hands: 8517

[/ QUOTE ]

problem
Old 10-09-2006, 04:12 PM

what problem, you think 8517 is high or low?
recall this is since 9/1/06, US date format (eg 40 days).
recall this is 1-tabling. (if you think it's low)
I play ~300 hands a session (if you think its high)
5-handed goes quickly, 75+ hands/hr.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:17 PM

some people play 8.5K hands in 2 days here
Old 10-09-2006, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what problem, you think 8517 is high or low?
recall this is since 9/1/06, US date format (eg 40 days).
recall this is 1-tabling. (if you think it's low)
I play ~300 hands a session (if you think its high)
5-handed goes quickly, 75+ hands/hr.

[/ QUOTE ]

its low for drawing any meaningful conclusions
Old 10-09-2006, 04:51 PM

Also, I find that as you play more hands, your reads don't increase with hands played. eg - if you play with the same ten people, your reads aren't gonna get any better say after 10000 hands b/c you already know what you're gonna know. however, if you multitable, I think getting reads 4 tabling is pretty easy - just gotta concentrate a little. I haven't tried any more tables b/c my monitor is teh sux, but this is JMO