Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2006, 12:36 AM

Default Re: GPITW Days 18-20

You descriped the 'thumping' so well I could vision it in my head and I was laughing soo hard. Great story.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What's good about your writing style Doug is that it is amicable and conversational. There aren't a lot of big words or fancy phrasology (if that's a word). It's like you're just sitting in a pub telling a story. And the story being worth hearing is the big part.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah very well put. I am enjoying the journal quite a bit.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:28 AM

Awesome story man...well written AND interesting is a hard combination to find...
Old 01-30-2006, 02:32 AM

I don't really care about the quest, but cool story.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you guys be more specific? What you like, what you don't like...what parts drag, what parts need to be fleshed out, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't write this if you didn't ask, but I don't agree with the other posters. This story and some of your others come across to me as excessively masturbatory. It reminds me a lot of Tucker Max. I would love to see you write something creative that doesn't include yourself as a major character.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:58 PM

Less we forget the irony of these posts:GPITW-lol. We shouldnt..its all in fun but...

I agree I'm thinking to myself reading these posts for the last week or two my god this kid is the most arrogant twenty something alcoholic I've ever encountered. You can write no doubt about it but you come off as twisted selfish punk no matter what gifts you have.

Btw I dont give a fuuck if I get flamed by you and all your clubby 2+2 pals-doesnt mean dick to me.

I must say I really do enjoy reading the poker stuff but most of your other writing is about belittling others and you come across as a punk and it takes away from an otherwise entertaining read.

Here's another pointer you're a fugging alcoholic..it's obvious.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:40 PM

Gonores,

I find the mixture of your success and your acceptance/glorification of your flaws (alcoholism) to be very interesting and refreshing. So many others with your writing ability would never include anything that does not make them look awesome. In regard to specifics, I can't really say for sure, but I look for your GPITW posts every day and they are always a pleasure to read, start to finish. I commend you, especially in the face of all the poker "blogs" out there which are always truly awful reading.

Looking forward to your next piece,

Ari
Old 01-30-2006, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Can you guys be more specific? What you like, what you don't like...what parts drag, what parts need to be fleshed out, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't write this if you didn't ask, but I don't agree with the other posters. This story and some of your others come across to me as excessively masturbatory. It reminds me a lot of Tucker Max. I would love to see you write something creative that doesn't include yourself as a major character.

[/ QUOTE ]

tucker max is also a great writer.

so what if the stuff comes off as a little arrogant (though i don't see that in gonores' posts). it's fun to read.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Less we forget the irony of these posts:GPITW-lol. We shouldnt..its all in fun but...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is all in fun. I think that's abundantly clear to everyone.

[ QUOTE ]
I agree I'm thinking to myself reading these posts for the last week or two my god this kid is the most arrogant twenty something alcoholic I've ever encountered.

[/ QUOTE ]

I readily admit I have a thick streak of arrogance in my personality. And it was worse when I was younger. I made the mistake of going to a school that wasn't going to challenge me sufficiently and I became a big fish in a small pond. However, a lot of my "2+2 pals" don't see that outside of my writing, because I have enough sense to treat with respect those who have, for lack of a better word, redeeming qualities. A lot of my arrogance and cockiness, at least these days, manifests itself in the presence of jerks who have it coming.

[ QUOTE ]
I've ever encountered. You can write no doubt about it

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. That's what I really asked about. I have no problems with being judged and judged harshly as a person, but I'm really looking to use you people as writing critics.

[ QUOTE ]
but you come off as twisted selfish punk no matter what gifts you have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cmon...twisted?

[ QUOTE ]
Btw I dont give a fuuck if I get flamed by you and all your clubby 2+2 pals-doesnt mean dick to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're being hostile for no good reason. Get a grip, bro.

[ QUOTE ]
most of your other writing is about belittling others and you come across as a punk and it takes away from an otherwise entertaining read.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've posted two stories since I started the GPITW. In the first one, I think I only belittled Jug Ears, and I readily admitted in the story that I acted out against the wrong people. In the second one, I belittled Thumper, and, cmon...he had it coming.

[ QUOTE ]
Here's another pointer you're a fugging alcoholic..it's obvious.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my younger years, it was pretty obvious I was an alcoholic....for christ's sake, I named my flask and carried it with me everywhere I went for one semester. Nowadays, there's a lot of evidence for and a lot of evidence against the accusation that I'm an alcoholic.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:32 PM

Tucker Max is a hell of a writer. If you're comparing my writing style to his, it's probably a decent yet flattering comparison for me....I've read a lot of his stuff, and it makes me laugh, which is the goal I aspire toward when I'm writing.

If you're comparing my stories Tucker's as far as the content goes, I guess there's a little bit of that in my stories, but I don't think it's that great of a comparison. I think we both have a desire to be the center of attention, which puts us in similar situations from time to time, but the similarities end there.

[ QUOTE ]
I would love to see you write something creative that doesn't include yourself as a major character.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm willing to give this a shot. Are you talking more about me witnessing something where I was just an innocent bystander? Or are you talking about trying to write something fictional? I don't think either one will come out as well as my personal essays, but I guess I can try it.