Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2006, 06:26 PM

Default Re: Torre gone

[ QUOTE ]
Both were for that silly lefty-righty matchup which is not as statistically significant as major league managers think it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are so very wrong here. When you're talking about someone vs LHP and someone vs RHP you might as well be talking about different players.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Both were for that silly lefty-righty matchup which is not as statistically significant as major league managers think it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are so very wrong here. When you're talking about someone vs LHP and someone vs RHP you might as well be talking about different players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should've been more clear -

Torre took Wang out with 2 outs in the 6th facing Curtis Granderson with no one on.

Torre left Johnson in to face Sean Casey with at least one man on, when he'd gotten rocked by the last two batters.

In both of these situations, the righty-lefty switch wasn't worth making or not making because A: Wang was pitching very well B: There was a right-hander up in case Granderson got on, this pitcher could've faced Placido Polanco (and did anyway) C: Wang doesn't give up many home runs and D: Wang had only thrown 92 pitches.

In situation 2 - A: Randy Johnson had been hit hard in that inning B: he wasn't supposed to go very long anyway because he's having back problems C: Sean Casey is not a power hitter, and as I suspected, the differential between his LHP OPS and RHP OPS is .80.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you know it's the manager who takes the starting pitcher out?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure it's the 1st base coach until the 8th inning.

[ QUOTE ]
why was Wang taken out in Game 1 with 92 pitches?

[/ QUOTE ]

When you have a weapon like Mike Myers you don't keep that sucker in its sheath.

[ QUOTE ]
And then why wasn't Johnson taken out when he clearly had nothing left in Game 3?

[/ QUOTE ]

He was saving Cory Lidle for game 4.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm. Wait a sec. You knew the answers to the questions you posed! Did you knew the high correlation between douche-bags and rhetorical questions? (Don't answer that, it's, uhm...)

In any case, I'm convinced. But for Joe's bumbling, the Yankees would have won 100+ games and cruised through the first round. He killed them.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:46 PM

I know he likes to watch how he uses him during the year to assure that he's fresh come October. Rivera's a bit different than other closers in that he only throws one speed. And that spred is a few MPH slower than it was earlier in his career.

In general, I would agre with you that the idea of the "closer" is somewhat silly. You got trouble in the 7th or 8th and the game's on theline, bring in your best guy.
I would have brought Rivera right away after Jaret Wright went south. Third inning, fourth inning, what difference does it make? In a must-win game, you go with your best immediately. Let him pitch two or three innings then go with your second best. There's nothing to close if you don't.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:47 PM

Rivera could not go multiple innings - he was injured.

Rivera was only available for one inning no matter what.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:49 PM

Got it. Bad reading on my part, sorry.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:51 PM

Is Girardi too young for the Yankees job? Too familliar?
Old 10-08-2006, 07:55 PM

Who has he blown out? Every team loses a ton of relieverse these days. They've won the division every year, how badly could he be handling the relief staff? Villone and Proctor were pitching over their heads at the beginning of the year. Nelson and Stanton threw an awful lot during the year too, yet they got the job done post-season. Maybe it's that they were just beter relivers then than the guys they have now.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:58 PM

Supposedly. But Torre also said he reserved the right to change his mind. I remember during the year at one time he was only supposed to be going one inning at a time and was brought in in the eighth.

I still would have brought him in right away. If he has, say, a 12 pitch inning, he could have come out for another.

I suppose it takes him longer to get ready, with his stretching, etc., than most other relievers. But my point was that it was the most important game of the year, you had to win it, you fell behind, and the best guy in the bullpen wasn't used. That doesn't seem to make sense to me.