Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2006, 03:38 PM

Default Re: dealing with parents, stigma

Well, it took my brother and I a year to concvince my parents at least that this was a skill game. We had to show them lots of basic probabilites and strategies, until they broke down and admitted that there was a relatively small risk of going bankrupt as long as you play EV decisions and manage your roll.

As for the other issue, my parents never quite backed down on their stance that poker contributes nothing to society, and their dissapointment in pursuing a career that makes money off of 'degenerates and other victims.'

You have to believe in yourself. If you don't, then a lot of what is bothering you may be that deep down you aren't fully convinced that your Dad isn't right. I don't think he is, but I understand why parental support is really important, no matter how old you are.

As a side note, you'd better be really sure that you can win at poker, especially with this new law scaring off fishes, to take this step. If its just a temporary experiment, fine, but don't plan your whole future on it.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't understand. Are u saying that making $20 dollars an hour at NL25 (8 tabling at 5/100) is not impressive enough or something. If I was making $100 dollars an hour it would be ok to keep playing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I make 150-200/hr and wouldn't consider going pro, fwiw.

Get an education, do what your parents say. Seriously.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Get an education, do what your parents say. Seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:51 PM

$20 an hour blows for poker. You are gonna be real real pissed playing that many hands a day, and know you have to play that many hands a day, to barely make a living.

8-tabling is what, 350hands an hour? You're gonna be playing over 12000 hands a week....

For what, $800? before taxes?

Playing poker for a living is fine, but you need to make substantially more than that for it to be worth it.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$20 an hour blows for poker. You are gonna be real real pissed playing that many hands a day, and know you have to play that many hands a day, to barely make a living.

8-tabling is what, 350hands an hour? You're gonna be playing over 12000 hands a week....

For what, $800? before taxes?

Playing poker for a living is fine, but you need to make substantially more than that for it to be worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i know dats why i be trying to get my rollz together so i can move up to .25/.50 etc. U got to start somewhere. I just want to prove a consistent win rate for like 200k hands first which i have pretty much nearly done at like 5 -10/100.

Man i really enjoyed playing on PP though.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:20 PM

Considering the messy tax situation of playing professionaly and having no benefits at all, making $20 hr is less than it seems.

Plus like others have said, the legal stuff regarding online poker is getting murky, who knows for how long. Get a degree and/or a real job. Poker will still be there.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:50 AM

I ate my parents and I advise you eat yours too.

It should be known I did not want to eat my parents until they got me mad.

Don't go pro for 20 bucks an hour it's not worth sitting in front of a computer for 30 years peeing in a gatorade bottle so you don't miss a hand. Your going to end up 400lbs so you'll need one of those 2000 dollar steel reinforced chairs.

It's not worth it... eat your parents and get a education or job.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:47 PM

1-Play poker.

2-..but don't say you're "going pro",
3-say your taking a year off to "find yourself"
4-if you find yourself brokeass and unhappy, go to school
5-if you find yourself stacking, repeat #3

..and now a word from our sponsor:
And you may find yourself living in a shotgun shack
And you may find yourself in another part of the world
And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile
And you may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful
Wife
And you may ask yourself-well...how did I get here?
Old 10-09-2006, 08:23 PM

I'm working on a website that is bring in advertisement $ (not $$$ yet... single and double digit dollars per month at this rate) but it really hasn't been finished(coding,scripting and such) yet... untill then I appease my parents by working for them for a hour a day becuase they don't believe that I have any other way to bring in money and that I'm doomed to have to dip into the money that I made working 300+ hours this summer... just appease them, tell them what they want to hear and do the bare minimum. If you can make money online than do it behind there back untill you bring home that $3000 check and they just "happen" to see it on your desk... Wired had an interesting article about how the ebaumsworld.com creator convinced his parents that he could make money online.... Don't let this effect your education though, regardless of how much you can make online.... coming from a 17 yo (me) but ya.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Get an education. Seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]