Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-08-2006, 01:58 PM

Default Re: The Departed

While I found the movie to be entertaining, I must say that I was expecting more - especially given the praise heaped upon it by critics of all sorts.

There are two main issues for me at this point.

It's been done. This isn't too much of a surprise given that the movie itself has been done before. And while hearing the Stones in a Scorcese flick and seeing Jack go over the top are pleasant, we've seen it before - and better I'd say.

Also, the portrayal of the ruthlessness of criminal violence is nothing new as well. We've seen Scorcese do it, we've seen Tarantino do it while influenced by Japanese films and Scorcese - here we seem to see Scorcese influenced by himself and those he's inspired.

One of the final scenes also reminded me of Mystic River (a film I have many problems with), and I think it's much more than location. Again, we have a movie with talented but heavily bankable stars that can overtake the plot.

Which brings me to my second problem with the movie. While in my opinion Mystic River boringly rehashed Shakespearean/Greek tragedy plotline and themes, it at least addressed moral issues. I expect some manner of moral exploration in a Scorcese film. I didn't really find any in The Departed.

I suppose there are issues of paternity and societal or internal corruption. Even if we're intended to do our own intellectual legwork, I don't think the movie gives us enough to go on.