Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2006, 02:49 PM

Default I hate how I played this (Nut FD/Top Pair, weak kicker)

CO seemed to be pretty LAGish, but I had only been there about 15 hands.

I checked the flop thinking that I could trap the other three players for an easy check-raise. Then, after this was all set up, I decided to wait for the turn to trap them for two big bets. I didn't do this because only 1 of the three came along for one and I thought there was a very good chance I was outkicked and playing for the club to come in.

What should I have done? Just check-raise the flop?

Paradise Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.25/$0.5
10 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is UTG+2 with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises</font>, 2 folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (10.4SB, 5 players)
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP1 folds.

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6.7BB, 3 players)
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls.

River: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (8.7BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:14 PM

Default Re: I hate how I played this (Nut FD/Top Pair, weak kicker)

the chance to complete your nut flush is 35%. So I would bet out here with so many opponents. It also would give me the chance to gather more information about CO, because a raise would tell me that I am most likely behind with A and a low kicker. Turn would be c/c, river c/f unimproved.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:20 PM

If you're not going to c/r the flop, you're basically committing yourself to a WA/WB line assuming you don't hit anything. Given that you didn't, bet/fold the river against most opponents.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:25 PM

On the flop, you checked initially to get a check/raise in trapping two players which is good. Even though you still lost one, you can check/raise anyways since you probably won't lose anyone. There is good value in this on just your flush draw alone, not to mention the remaining 5's are outs unless you are against AJ/A6/set or the board pairs.

Since you didn't do that, you just have to play this like you have A5o unless the flush comes in.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:40 PM

Get the money in on the flop while you have a good portion of the equity. In all probability, the turn or river will counterfeit your kicker and your hand will not be strong enough to c/r unless a club comes in .You also do not want to chase off an aggressive Jx or risk being three bet by a better A/Monster. If the opponent is VERY aggressive, c/c the river is fine. Otherwise, you will want to bet it out so that the Jx hands cannot check behind
Old 10-07-2006, 04:59 PM

If your read is on, I'm either bet/3-bet or c/r this flop everytime. I think the c/c is not good. I really don't like the idea of waiting until the turn to try the c/r. Once I get to the river, I'd either b/f or c/c depending on the player.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:58 PM

You gotta raise this flop. Get your money in while you have the equity edge. A raise might even get you a free card on the turn, even if CO was the flop aggressor.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:31 PM

*grunch*

I've reverted to folding suited aces up front, especially if it is an aggressive table.

On the flop, you have a very strong hand, and you want to build the pot. A c/r is your best mechanism to do this. Then lead the turn. Call against any aggression.