Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2006, 05:28 AM

Default Re: \"How about an upgrade?\"

When I lived in Vegas, my wife's parents must've come out to visit us a dozen times, staying at a different hotel each time. My father-in-law went with $20 every time. In most cases, he didn't get any upgrade, but he usually got a decent view.

I should mention that they'd have the room for a week at a time. I imagine it's unrealistic to lock up a VIP room for that long, for $20. If you're only going to stay one or two nights, I think you'd have a better shot.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:37 PM

When you have a few hours, here is some "light" reading on the subject. Most Vegas hotels are reviewed in this thread.

http://www.fatwallet.org/t/63/529706/
Old 10-07-2006, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay I will spell it out, since you are smart enough to get someone to access this site for you.

1. Some one stupid enough to pay $100 for something they should give $20 for, is probably stupid enough to accept some minor upgrade that they normally could get just by asking. Screw the sucker is just the natural American way.

2. Some one stupid enough to pay $100 for something they should give $20 for, is probably doing this their first and only time. No repeat business there, so screw them.

3. Some one stupid enough to pay $100 for something they should give $20 for, could be stupid enough to blab and spill the beans to other people, like upper hotel management, about what a good deal they got. This means some one could be coming after the hotel clerk for breaking the rules, or for a share of the tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I've ever read anything that makes less sense than this.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay I will spell it out, since you are smart enough to get someone to access this site for you.

1. Some one stupid enough to pay $100 for something they should give $20 for, is probably stupid enough to accept some minor upgrade that they normally could get just by asking. Screw the sucker is just the natural American way.

2. Some one stupid enough to pay $100 for something they should give $20 for, is probably doing this their first and only time. No repeat business there, so screw them.

3. Some one stupid enough to pay $100 for something they should give $20 for, could be stupid enough to blab and spill the beans to other people, like upper hotel management, about what a good deal they got. This means some one could be coming after the hotel clerk for breaking the rules, or for a share of the tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

someone who is stupid enough to repeatedly write some one is very annoying.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:05 AM

On more than one occasion, i have kindly asked if there were any upgrades available and gotten some fairly nice rooms, definitely better than average
...but then again, i am a lot cuter and more charming than the average guy asking for an upgrade...
Old 10-08-2006, 09:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...but then again, i am a lot cuter and more charming than the average guy asking for an upgrade...

[/ QUOTE ]

I can definitely see how that helped you, but what would you do if the check-in clerk was FEMALE?
Old 10-08-2006, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can definitely see how that helped you, but what would you do if the check-in clerk was FEMALE?

[/ QUOTE ]

nh.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:06 PM

It works, although I have had mixed results with it.

I got an upgrade at the Wynn, but only a slight upgrade to a Panoramic room.