Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2006, 11:25 AM

Default Re: Article by Bill Frist

My response is: Religion is bad for families. Family members spend countless hours praying, which has no impact on anything, when they could be spending time with their families. Who can tell me the exact odds of a certain prayer being answered? No one. But who can tell me the exact odds of me hitting my nut flush on the river? Everyone on this forum.

In addition, more money has been poured into religion then ever will be lost or won playing poker. For what? To fuel intolerance, highlight our differences and buy land.

No one is making an argument to ban religion, because we allegedly have a free country. But since when is it the role of law to preserve or protect families?

I just woke up and had to rant after reading this, sorry it's OT.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:29 AM

"The government also will be able to ensure that website operators don’t provide links to gambling websites" how do they expect to enforce this? this isn't communist china (yet)
Old 10-07-2006, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This sentence at the beginning of the article almost seems like he's trying to defend what he has done:

"The new law passed because members of the pro-family movement -- including a great many Southern Baptists -- brought the issue to the attention of both Democrats and Republicans."

If he wasn't being defensive and trying to justify the stunt that he pulled, why would he give the Democrats any credit for it? I may be reading too much into it, though. He seems to be preaching to the choir on that website.......literally. LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering its huge margin in the House, plus the fact that Frist's actions give the appearance of trying to sneak this through, he can't really use this for his advantage anyway - it was either "wildly popular with the entire Congress" or "we couldn't get it through without attaching it to unrelated legislation." What kind of a campaign ad do you make out of that?

Well before this I would've said Frist had a snowball's chance at the nomination any way; I can't think of a more uninspiring or uncharasmatic politician than Bill Frist.

So U.S. online poker players pay for a political advantage an un-nominatable guy can't use; perfect.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My response is: Religion is bad for families. Family members spend countless hours praying, which has no impact on anything, when they could be spending time with their families. Who can tell me the exact odds of a certain prayer being answered? No one. But who can tell me the exact odds of me hitting my nut flush on the river? Everyone on this forum.

In addition, more money has been poured into religion then ever will be lost or won playing poker. For what? To fuel intolerance, highlight our differences and buy land.

No one is making an argument to ban religion, because we allegedly have a free country. But since when is it the role of law to preserve or protect families?

[/ QUOTE ]

don't apologize. It's brilliant
Old 10-07-2006, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure if this has been posted.

Frist Article

-ActionBob

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone still think this is not about pandering to the Christians Fundamentalists. Check out the nature and audience for Frist's words at the site. Southern Baptists from the heart of the bible belt.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:56 AM

Have any of you actually visited the LEGAL US BASED HORSE RACING WEBSITES that Bill Frist and his republican crowd has said is just fine to wager on? I have zero interest in betting on horses because you can't win in the long run but I was very curious about them, so I searched some of them out and what I found made me so mad I could scream!! If you go to the horse racing websites (like youbet.com - I'm not spamming them - DON'T BET ON HORSES YOU WILL LOSE) and check them out on the first page they say in big letters "US BASED AND LICENSED" Damn it all to hell how in the hell can you have a LEGAL US BASED WEBSITE where you can bet thousands and thousands all day and night on horses running around in a circle BUT you can't play poker or play a freaking $5 sit and go! This is so crazy and makes me so mad! I just hope that the WTO or someone with some power will point out the pure insanity of the US gaming stance! I am sorry for the vent but when I went to those horse racing sites and saw how they boldy proclaimed how they were U.S. based and licensed I just couldn't help but think how great it would be to have a us based and licensed poker or gaming site too. Damn it....

If any of you visit these damn US based horse racing sites and check them out I bet it will make you mad as well. Damn.

(P.S. Don't bet on horses! At least until we can play poker too damnit!)
Old 10-07-2006, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chester should be proud of you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Religion is a tool in the hands of some, and serious disease of many.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:06 PM

Dear Bill Frist,
I don't have a family [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
May I please play online poker until I get one? Pretty Please?
Regards,
Not a Family Man
Old 10-07-2006, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dear Bill Frist,
Regards,
Not a Family Man

[/ QUOTE ]

No. You can't play poker. But you can bet thousands and thousands and thousands on HORSES all day and night to your heart's content.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dear Bill Frist,
Regards,
Not a Family Man

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a family, but would rather stay home with them and gamble than spend all day at Foxwoods away from them.