Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2006, 08:26 AM

Default Letter I sent to the RNC and to Senator Frist

I used to be a republican, but, as others have said, the gambling bill was the straw that broke the camel's back. As a supporter, they send me numerous solicitations for contributions, and I have decided to answer all such future requests with the following letter (stuffed in their prepaid envelope, no less). I have also sent a copy to Senator Frist, as a reply to his letter to me in regards to HR4411.

I'm not claiming this will do anything, but I feel it is about all I can do at this point. Furthermore, I did register as a Libertarian and sent them a sizable donation. I'd urge my fellow 2+2ers to do the same, but I don't want to turn this thread into a political party vs political party debate.

The letter:

10/6/2006

[name and address deleted]

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing to you with regard to your recent correspondence to me concerning the Republican Party and/or Republican National Committee. I feel it necessary at this time to inform you that I have officially left the Republican Party and I will not be returning.

The grave offenses this party has committed in the past few years are nothing short of shameful. You used to be the party for limited government. You used to be the party for fiscal responsibility. You used to be the party of personal freedom. I feel you have violated your charge in all of these regards, so I cannot in good conscience support your cause in the future.

I cannot stress to you have disappointed I am in the actions of this party and its representatives. Most recently Senator Frist has stripped the freedom of many good, hard-working individuals to play online poker. To protect the American family? Did he not realize the vast majority of Americans do not want his "protection"? What is worse is that he did so via underhanded methods such as adding the language to the Port Security bill.

Furthermore, you have misrepresented almost every aspect of the Iraq war, its costs, the justifications for it, and its results. You have also expanded the federal government through the passing of the Medicare prescription drug benefit, ballooned the educational budget to no effect whatsoever, failed to provide tort reform, failed to provide tax code simplification, failed on school vouchers, failed in privatizing social security, failed in your stem-cell research policies, failed to eliminate estate taxes, the AMT, etc. I assure you, these are just the highlights.

I desire at this point, no further correspondence from the Republican party or any of its representatives. My support of this party financially and at the ballot box has come to an end. Moreover, as a prominent member of the business community, I will actively show others in my community just how badly you have violated our trust.

We trusted you and you failed us. Fearful servants, indeed.

Sincerely,

Ex-Republican
Old 10-07-2006, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Letter I sent to the RNC and to Senator Frist

brilliant.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:33 AM

That's the kind of articulate arguments and letters that are needed. Excellent letter.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:12 PM

It sounds to me like you may not have been that much of a Republican in the first place if all those things upset you so much.

In the very least, you had some libertarian leanings in the first place (as many Repubs do).

I do believe there are many Republicans out there who are growin tired of the Iraq situation though which I find interesting.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:07 PM

As another former Republican, I agree completely with your letter. Sen. Barry Goldwater and Pres. Ronald Reagan are rolling in their graves over the present Republican party. Their legacy has been lost.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:13 PM

Balloned the educational budget?

I can tell from many points in your letter, you actually have no clue how your party functions. None.

Glad you're leaving though. Hope you start actually PAYING ATTENTION to politics and don't just vote based on regurgitated talking points.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As another former Republican, I agree completely with your letter. Sen. Barry Goldwater and Pres. Ronald Reagan are rolling in their graves over the present Republican party. Their legacy has been lost.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forwarded his e-mail to my very politically minded Republican mom to see what she thought of it.
She was a 'Goldwater Girl' back in the day and a big Reagan fan. Seems she agree as well.

her thoughts:

[ QUOTE ]
unfortunately, the guy makes perfect sense about the republicans. i am so
disturbed about all the things he mentioned that haven't gotten done.
however, the democrats will be worse

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-07-2006, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Balloned the educational budget?

I can tell from many points in your letter, you actually have no clue how your party functions. None.
Glad you're leaving though. Hope you start actually PAYING ATTENTION to politics and don't just vote based on regurgitated talking points.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just calm down......now slowly, I said slowly, reach back and take whatever is up your rearend out. well done, and hey wash your hands.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:10 PM

Dude, take the first paragraph and put it at the end.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:40 PM

I'm right there with you. I even voted for Bush, but will never check the box for another republican again.

Indy