Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2006, 09:01 PM

Default Re: Ask QTip about the Amish

[ QUOTE ]
In these parts we have Hutterites. According to Wikipedia they are from the same communal branch as the Amish and Mennonites.

I knew a guy in University who was hired to go in and impregnate a bunch of Hutterite women. Strange gig.

I wonder if that is also done in Amish communities, or is the Amish population large enough that it isn't an issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never heard of the Hutterites. Procreation def. not a problem for the amish.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In these parts we have Hutterites. According to Wikipedia they are from the same communal branch as the Amish and Mennonites.

I knew a guy in University who was hired to go in and impregnate a bunch of Hutterite women. Strange gig.

I wonder if that is also done in Amish communities, or is the Amish population large enough that it isn't an issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never heard of the Hutterites. Procreation def. not a problem for the amish.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the issue is that everyone is basically related to each other, so to avoid the mental retardation thing they hire men so the gene pool is more varied.

Based on what you've said about the Amish, they are having similar issues that they are just choosing to ignore.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:07 PM

Qtip,

Your mother buying some people deodorant and requiring them to use it in order to visit is awesome.

LFS
Old 10-06-2006, 09:22 PM

I should add the positives as well...most of these people know though.

They're mostly doing things that their fathers and father's fathers did. For this reason, they are generally extremely good at their crafts...construction and so forth. The woman are generally very good cooks and normally keep a pretty clean house.

They do come together to help one another, which is always a cool thing. I've seen them build houses for people in 2 days...like bees on the thing. Of course, they don't have plumbing or electricity to put in either. But, it's still pretty amazing. Boom! There's a house for you.

Weddings...oh man...now that's really interesting. The singing is so loud you can hear it for what seems like miles.

Church time is held at someone's house every week. Normally a different person's house each week. Certain folks are responsible for bringing the benches and so forth. They eat together and so forth.

Play time is always serious fun. Always baseball and volleyball, and the guys love playing basketball as well. It's always a rough game of ball and, in general, they hustle big time. I'm always the cherry picker. Oh..and horseshoes...forget it.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Amish relatives through my grandfather. Tons of ex-amish relatives and menonite relatives. Surrounded by Amish all of my life and a few Amish friends.

[/ QUOTE ] Pretty much the same here. All 4 of my grandparents were born Amish and they all left at age 18-21. They are still pretty conservative mennonites. Both my grandmothers wear coverings, homemade dresses etc. They were not shunned for the leaving their church although one of my great uncles was shunned for nearly 20 years because he help start a rival sect of Amish that alowed rubber tires on their tractors etc. That made for some interesting family reunions because all the Old Order Amish refused to eat anything.

Based on the stories I have heard about molestation, incest, and bestiality in PA and OH I would say that the Amish in Kalona,IA where I grew up are fairly tame and are good people for the most part. I haven't heard any rumors of the messed up sexual stuff happening around this area although I'm sure it does happen to some extent.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Now, she's a cutie...something happens at age 13...the curse will come along. The little ones in those cute little outfits are always cute as a button.

[/ QUOTE ]

QTip, I suspect at least part of what happens at age thirteen is makeup--or rather the lack thereof.

Girls generally start wearing a little makeup (at least) at that age, and men tend to not realize how much difference it makes. In fact, done right, you guys don't even notice it.

Put a barefaced Amish girl next to the typical 13-year old wearing a little makeup, and she will look very "plain." But of course plain is what they strive for. It's the desire, once again, to not draw attention to themselves.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
one of my great uncles was shunned for nearly 20 years because he help start a rival sect of Amish that alowed rubber tires on their tractors etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have no idea what a reasonable example of the etcetera would be here. Did they allow water-cooled engines too? Fuel injectors?
Old 10-07-2006, 12:05 AM

Btw, I just wanted to say that this is one of the more interesting threads here in a while. It's one of hte very very few that I actually read all the way through without skimming/skipping posts. Learning about people that live so close to me and so differently that I know nothing about is cool. Good idea qtip.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:18 AM

My house was framed by Amish. I wanted a picture of one beam being set, but they were VERY against a picture being taken. Why no pictures?

As a side note, they used power tools and a microwave, but didn't own them and they left them on site in a trailer. They were rented from the contractor. Is that the norm?
Old 10-07-2006, 12:21 AM

Has your family shunned you or consider you an outsider?