Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2006, 10:39 PM

Default Re: Tommy Tuberville calls for NCAAF playoff system

we the whole nation and even politics want a damn playoff but money is doing this sponsership money will there a partypoker bowl game soon???
Old 10-06-2006, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The main reason that a playoff is unlikely has not been mentioned in this thread. Asking a team's fanbase to travel to two or three consecutive road and possibly cross-country games is unreasonable. If Ohio State makes the hypothetical playoffs, can you ask the fans to go to both Florida for a semifinal, then California for a final? Are USC fans willing to travel to Florida for a semifinal? Highly unlikely. Bowls are easy because it's just one trip a year.

IMO, this is the biggest obstacle to a playoff.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is totally wrong IMO. In div 1-AA they have a 16 team playoff. In div 2 & 3 they have a 24 team playoff. All of these divisions have much smaller fanbases, yet somehow they manage. If they can do it, then the 1A schools, with a much larger fanbase to draw from, can certainly do it.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Its really this simple.

1. eliminate the 12th game but keep the conference championship games.

2. On the middle weekend of Dec play these games. One Friday night and 3 back-to-back-to-back on Saturday which would be Dec 15-16 this year.
BCS #8 @ BCS #1
BCS #7 @ BCS #2
BCS #6 @ BCS #3
BCS #5 @ BCS #4

3. Winners of those games play in 2 of the BCS bowls as a semifinal on Jan 1 and the losers play in the other 2 BCS bowls on the 2nd/3rd.

If the seedings held it would be for example:
#1 vs #4 Rose Bowl
#2 vs #3 Orange Bowl
#5 vs #8 Sugar "consolation"
#6 vs #7 Fiesta "consolation"

4. Championship game between semifinal winners at the Fiesta Bowl aproximately a week to week-and-a-half later. I would suggest the 9th this year.

Here is how this would have played last year according to the seedings assuming the higher seed won every game.

#8 Miami @ #1 USC
#7 Georgia @ #2 Texas
#6 ND @ #3 Penn St
#5 Oregon @ #4 OSU

Then we would have:
#1 USC vs #4 OSU Orange Bowl-Semifinal
#2 Texas vs #3 PSU Sugar Bowl-Semifinal
#5 Oregon vs #8 Miami Fiesta Bowl
#6 ND vs #7 Georgia Rose Bowl

Then:
#1 USC vs #2 Texas @ the Rose Bowl on either the Jan 7 or the Jan 10 for The Real National Championship.

Under this system 2 teams play one more game than they do this year and every other team plays the same amount or less games than this year. The TV ratings would be amazing for the entire playoff and having 2 BCS games that don't matter is an improvement over the 4 that currently don't matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your system sucks
Old 10-07-2006, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
we the whole nation and even politics want a damn playoff but money is doing this sponsership money will there a partypoker bowl game soon???

[/ QUOTE ]

very, very wrong

the people that actually attend games like it the way it is

the fly-by-nights who watch on tv and tune their attention in for a game or two every now and then want it to change
Old 10-07-2006, 01:58 AM

The main reason you need a playoff is because of preseason rankings and media bias for and against certain teams.

If you start #20 in the polls and end up the year with 1 loss you have no chance. If you start #3 in the polls and end up with 1 loss you have a huge chance to make it.

Also I don't know why people purpose such crazy playoff systems. Any initial playoff system must be a SMALL step.

We currently have a single championship game (or a 2 team playoff). The next logical step is a 4 team playoff. This only adds 2 teams and 2 games to the mix.

People purposing 8 and 16 team playoffs are trying to do too much too fast. Football isn't basketball and shouldn't try to emulate it.

Let's face it, the BEST team in the coutnry will be in the top #4 of the final rankings 99.99% of the time. However there have been several instances in the recent past of the arguably best team sittin at #3.

Also in a 4 team playoff whoever is #5 has no room to b*tch at all, you are playing for #1 and #5 is CLEARLY not #1.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:04 AM

All I want from the college post season is the Big Ten champ to play the Pac Ten champ in the Rose Bowl.

I realize I'm in the minority.

I realize this would mean the gem matchup between Texas & USC of last year would not have happened.

But that is my opinion.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:36 AM

bernie you might want to check the standings/teams this season

The big east looks okay--sure the bottom teams are bad/awful--but the top teams are looking really good so far. A lot of conf bottom dwellers have even worse than normal horrible teams this season.

I doubt ND wouldn't dominate the big east--I think they'd be the third best team in the conf this season. I really think both WV and Louisville would beat them. ND every year is the most overrated team in college football. If they went 3-7 they still would get votes from people in the damn top 25 polls. ND looked like a horrible team against the michigan schools and I think they'll lose at air force. If they look as unprepared as they had against the mich schools they are in for some more losses than expected.

ND is ranked behind both Louisville and West Virginia--are you that sure they'd beat both of them? I'm not.

(after that mich st game the commentators went nuts like they're going to a bcs bowl game--well there's a game at air force there that they are going to have a lot of trouble with (not to mention USC at the end)...) I don't think they'll even let ND in with 3 losses (I forgot their record in 2000 when they clearly weren't one of the top 8 teams to get into a BCS game--then oregon state proved it by destroying them but I think that was only 2 losses)

Fresno State is 1-3. Two close losses to bad pac 10 schools they should have beaten (wash and oregon st) and a loss to colorado state--this program isn't good right now. With boise and a game at lsu yet this season they will have 5 losses minimum. They're not pac 10 worthy at this point (and that's saying a lot b/c stanford is still in that conf).

Boise State football wise would make obvious sense but it won't happen.

To the people complaining about the SEC's lack of non conf pop--look at everyone else's lack of non conf pop. Texas vs OSU is the exception not the norm. If it wasn't for ND if you look at the schedules there really isn't much in terms of top teams playing other top teams in other conferences. At best we seem to get two solid matchups like that for the entire season but very rare is that matchup that we all wanted (the tex vs osu--kudos to those AD's for having the balls to put it on the line like that [even though early season losses are very insignificant--all they have to do is make sure to not lose later and they'll leapfrog everyone who does])

regarding this topic--I'm okay with 4 teams in a playoff (I don't like 8--and hate 16 or more)--but nobody deserved #4 in that 04 3 undefeated team everyone else sucked debacle. There's always going to be either a team snubbed or a team undeserving--then what if they win the championship? crazy stuff happens.

I think Boise State this season might get into a BCS game if they go unbeaten (they should go unbeaten) but I don't think they deserve it--they really have played a crap schedule (not necessarily their fault but a blowout win at utah doesn't (and 2 lackluster wins over weak opponents) have the punch it would have a few years ago)
Old 10-07-2006, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
regarding this topic--I'm okay with 4 teams in a playoff (I don't like 8--and hate 16 or more)--but nobody deserved #4 in that 04 3 undefeated team everyone else sucked debacle. There's always going to be either a team snubbed or a team undeserving--then what if they win the championship? crazy stuff happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh, there were 5 undefeated teams in 04. The clear choice for the number 4 spot would have been Utah (who won all of their games by more than 14 points). I think they were deserving of a playoff spot. I would have loved to see them play a real team.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:50 PM

Anyone feel differently after Arkansas went into death valley and took them down?

I do, it tells me how tough the SEC is. Not that I expect Kentucky to go to the swamp and beat Florida. But in the Big East I really don't see USF going into WVU and beating them.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All I want from the college post season is the Big Ten champ to play the Pac Ten champ in the Rose Bowl.

I realize I'm in the minority.

I realize this would mean the gem matchup between Texas & USC of last year would not have happened.

But that is my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree

going to the Sugar Bowl as an Illini fan just felt hollow and not cause LSU won the game easily. It just wasn't anywhere near as good as losing to UCLA by a ton in the Rose Bowl that I saw in person.