Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2006, 05:27 PM

Default Re: trips top kicker - river donk

[ QUOTE ]
A raise to TT will get it to fold, as is likely AK or AQ and a raise to 99 will result in a 3 bet back to you in which case you are in a tough spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be a very strange donkbet with a marginal hand here. Seems to be hes either got you beat 99 or less likely the straight or he's on a bluff. I think your raise only gets called when you lose. Especially early in the game I call here and make a note of what he shows.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:48 PM

Re Raise. My gut feeling tells me he thinks you are just continuation betting flop and turn and that you have not made a hand.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:14 PM

I think that villain would call us down with pretty pretty much any piece of the flop. The raise on the river has me a bit worried, he could have been calling us with a straight draw.

I would call and make a note, planning to exploit it big time if he is bluffing or betting something like a pair of 9s.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:17 PM

Easy river raise imo. what hands could he be donking that are better then your hands, and what hands are worse?
Old 10-06-2006, 09:40 PM

well..this is my first post but...

i think it is either a raise or a call! since i have seen people play various hands that donīt make any sense on even 2/4 i would even say a raise is good for value!in anycase i wouldnīt fold!
Old 10-07-2006, 04:59 AM

That's a very good first post sir. You're right. Villain's betting range (given his preflop looseness) indicates that folding is definitely wrong and that many fish love to bluff so much that a raise is marginal here. I think there's enough value in it to raise/call, especially as the pot gets larger because villain will have to call your raise more often with the worst hand.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Depends what I have seen him do on the river. Without reads, I raise this...

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...A raise to TT will get it to fold, as is likely AK or AQ and a raise to 99 will result in a 3 bet back to you in which case you are in a tough spot.

I call this and win up to 30 BB when I am ahead, but not less than 6 if we discount villian would act like this with the whiffed overcards, and lose 3 BB when I am behind to 99.

[/ QUOTE ]

i am confused by your post bruce

[/ QUOTE ]

My apologies. I tend to think (write) outloud rather than edit my final answer when I do these posts, which is why you see many of my posts with an edit assigned to it.

My initial instinct told me to raise. Then I broke it down to what that does for me.

If I raise the villian and he holds TT, AK, or AQ he will likely fold. That represents 30 hands, although I would really only give credit for TT being this desperate so that is 6 hands. He has 99 three ways. So... If I call and win, I could win up to 30 BB, but closer to 6 since it is not likely that he would bet with nothing. If I raise when I am ahead, he folds and I don't win any more bets.

If I am behind, I lose 3 big bets when I call. I lose 6-9 big bets when I raise in this situation because if he reraises, I am almost forced to call to snap off any bluffs that he may attempt.

Raising doesn't earn me anymore when I am ahead because with this hand range, he isn't going to call a raise.

Calling is better in my opinion.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:49 PM

May be that I am wrong, but I would have folded this hand to a raise of a laggy player. But in the hand now I would definitely at least call. 88 is not very likely given the flop play. Another hand that beats me is QT (assuming that 33 is not a hand to raise with preflop). Would you expect a laggy player to raise this hand preflop? I would put villain on 99, because AsJs or KsJs are less likely given the turn play. Therefore a call should be the correct play.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:55 PM

I disagree with your c/r suggestion on the river for 99. I would definitely bet out to prevent a busted draw to get out cheaply.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree with your c/r suggestion on the river for 99. I would definitely bet out to prevent a busted draw to get out cheaply.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP bet the flop and the turn. OP is not in position to c/r. I don't understand.

OP can't bet out the river because it has been bet for him.