Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2006, 07:40 AM

Default KK from Stars Million sat

My mate sent me this. I don't really play sats. I'm mainly posting it because I like to see the hands formatted but if anyone has any interesting comments, that's just dandy.

Edit: now I've looked at it, I raise to 800 pre-flop and bet 2/3 on the flop. And I have no idea why we're checking the turn. Jesus, he told me he was happy with his play!

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t100/t200
(Ante: t25)
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t18045
UTG+1: t9460
MP1: t14265
MP2: t14495
MP3: t20650
CO: t22298
Button: t7095
Hero: t9430
BB: t9117

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
2 folds, MP1 calls t200 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t525)</font>, 4 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t600</font>, BB calls t400 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t1225)</font>, MP1 calls t400 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t1625)</font>.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (t2025, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets t1000</font>, BB folds, MP1 calls t1000 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t3025)</font>.

Turn: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t4025, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 bets t2000</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero?
Old 10-06-2006, 07:54 AM

Default Re: KK from Stars Million sat

+How many people are left before it's paid out?
+what is his stack like relative to other stacks in the tourney (above average as it appears from the table?). Assuming we're not near the buble, then:

+Be the size of the pot rather than half the pot on the flop to avoid flush and str8 draws
+Yes, bet more PF; and don't check the turn, rather, push it. (pot sized bet pot-commits us).
Old 10-06-2006, 07:59 AM

Don't think we were anywhere near the bubble. He said he had an above average stack.

Edit: no he didn't. He'd had an above average stack but lost a recent hand, which I also posted a few days ago.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:10 AM

I agree that the raise to 600 was too small pf after the limper...raise to 800...on the flop I overbet the pot and make it 2500 to price out the draws and then if called push the turn.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:14 AM

Turn line is an alternative, but you should follow up with the c/r shove. First two streets are cringe-worthy, but now that you've signaled flop weakness, you should follow up with a turn shove. If 87 got there, at least your friend knows why now.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:16 AM

Bomb it preflop, like up to 1k.

Bomb it on the flop, like 1500 at least.

Bomb it on the turn...now that he's checked and gotten a bet, it's c/r jam time.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:58 AM

As a matter of interest, what do we think he's betting, all of a sudden, on the turn?
Old 10-06-2006, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As a matter of interest, what do we think he's betting, all of a sudden, on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]
Lots of stuff. It's not really "all of a sudden," in my view. Your line so far looks like "oh hey I have AQ so I'll riase in the SB now I'll c-bet oh god I still only have A-hi on the turn time to give up."
Old 10-06-2006, 11:06 AM

Yeah, good point. BTW, please don't think that I played this hand.

I think we're too shallow for a CR-push on the turn. If we think we have the best hand by a margin, it's cool, but our push shouldn't create any FE at all if he does bet at us.

This may be results oriented.

Anyway, I never check the turn with an overpair, on that board, given this action.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:51 PM

ok - i confess - it was me

and i'm still happy with my play, but i did play the hand in the hope of getting all his chips, so i could be criticized for being greedy

but my play should be judged based on my image at the table. if u are playing straightforward poker then u don't play it like this

i had been raising almost every un-raised pot pre-flop - always by the same amount.

i'd been hitting often enough to make it work, i'm still above average. i think the stax are still deep enough for this, although i'd appreciate an expert's opinion here.

my pattern had been bet 3x BB pf, c-bet most flops (especially heads-up), shut down if there's anyone still in the hand on the turn, unless i've hit something

i don't wanna announce that i've got a good hand by betting more pre-flop

i checked the turn because i was 'sure' he was gonna bet it and prolly then have to call my all-in re-raise

which he did
so all the chips are in and i'm ahead
i'm still happy with my play