Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2006, 08:37 AM

Default Re: What Europena Court for Human Rights ruled about online gamling

[ QUOTE ]
US to Euroland: we don't care bout your laws nor the WTO.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, its one of the few things the US do care about. They may not want to but they do.

IF the EU decides to get heavy over this, using the WTO and trade sanctions then the pressure on the US to comply will be massive. I doubt there's any where near strong enough support for this ban to withstand the presure.

but it takes time and the EU may not want to get heavy over a gambling issue.

chez
Old 10-04-2006, 10:41 AM

Economically though if there were to be tit for tat trade wars would eurpoe not lose out more and be the first to buckle?

I dont see gambling as being an issue that the EU will goto war with the US on, the WTO and whoever may jump up and down a bit but ultimately how much power do they have?

Ultimately the bill has to be defeated from within the US imho, the people looking for the WTO, EU or non US gambling firms to bail them out should be looking at ways that they can try and turn this round internally, I assume through lobbying for some sort of new licencing laws for the US similar to the UK ones.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:46 AM

Good Post. It cannot hurt. Good Luck at Party!!!
Old 10-04-2006, 12:10 PM

Believe me, the US does not want a trade war with the EU - you're talking about 350 to 450 million wealthy consumers, and that carries a lot of weight. But neither does the EU, and I don't think gambling is something they'll stick their necks out over.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is simply a myopic statement. The WTO protects several huge American industries, and these industries will not allow bible thumpers against gambling to blow that...
Old 10-04-2006, 09:54 PM

This argument won't work in U.S. courts because U.S. courts are less willing to just make stuff up as they go. That's probably one reason why the EU keeps falling further and further behind economically and in the protection of personal freedoms.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:32 AM

EU is faling behind USA in protecting personal freedoms? This is meant sarcastic, right?

Courts should ask goverment why there are exceptions in this bill if the reason for the bill was problem gambling. The rule of law beside other things means also that congress cannot pass a bill without having legitimate reasons for it.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just the problem isn't it. You dont care. You dont care about WTO, EU or to protest strong enough against US laws resticting gambling, lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the OP was being sarcastic. He was pretending to be the voice of the government, not himself. Most conscientious American's do care about other governmental models. Its just hard to figure out how to actually protest. I wrote and called my congressman. But unfortunately, as far as I can tell, average citizens can't just walk into a house meeting. And even worse, apparently congress members don't even get to vote on insidious laws tacked onto important ones. We care very deeply, so how about not making fun of Americans. People have spent lots of time in this forum and in other venues trying to organize dissent. Remember that this country is rather large and full of a ridiculous ammount of opposing views. It makes us strong and vulnerable at the same time.

(I am not saying that other countries such as the UK don't have these issues. I'm just speaking from personal perspective.)
Old 10-05-2006, 04:01 AM

Some people think geo-politics is like watching an NFL game. You root for your team because somehow their success represents your inner value. It's fun in the world of sports. In the Geo-political world, it's dangerous.

Let go! You're an American. You'll always be an American and You'll always love America. As you should. America will always be great not because of her economic power, military might, or constitituional freedoms but because she's a part of you and no other reason.

Conservatives don't understand that. They need something higher and bigger than them to validate themselves. Liberals need nothing but their own self worth and autonomy. That's why we don't get defensive when someone critisizes American policy or even America herself.and we don't feel pride when America achieves any sort of victory. We don't need any extra pride. We have enough as it. Nor do we need to verbally defend our country: It is what it is, and we'll always love it no matter what.

I'm on a roll ranting tonight.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That's why we don't get defensive when someone critisizes American policy or even America herself.and we don't feel pride when America achieves any sort of victory.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are right (and sadly I believe that in many ways you are), then this society has a grave problem.