Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2006, 03:31 AM

Default Re: Daniel Negreanu - A Pro\'s Perspective

[ QUOTE ]
what is the point of your post? its quite unclear.

you think he has an interesting and unique viewpoint?
you think christians shouldn't use language like his?

just come out and say whatever you are trying to say

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you are talking to me. No, its not a unique viewpoint, but it supports online gambling in America, and is pretty close to mine. And your post is pretty vague too. I said 'so what' about the language. If you are offended based on your own beliefs, then say so. I really don't feel like judging anyone cause they use a word like 'douchebag.'
Old 10-05-2006, 03:43 AM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
what is the point of your post? its quite unclear.

you think he has an interesting and unique viewpoint?
you think christians shouldn't use language like his?

just come out and say whatever you are trying to say

[/ QUOTE ]
i guess i have to repeat myself already..i thought my response to bigwig gave it away:
[ QUOTE ]
yea i know, nothing new. its more of a ray of hope for those still wearing their tinfoil hats..some might find it comforting

[/ QUOTE ]

some other things i think i should make clear..

the quote in my original post was just somethin i found funny..has nothing to do w/ what christians should or should not say

also posted this b/c a very respected player gives the ppa link. some ppl here who didnt join earlier, might now

edit: yea i think this one was directed to me, ben
Old 10-05-2006, 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, he is not only a Christian; he is a fundamentalist wacko Christian. (And I mean that in the nicest possible way.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know anything about DN but I just read that part of his blog. He doesn't believe in legislating private behavior. So whatever his views on the worlds origin, mans place in it and the nature of God, he doesn't want to force that belief upon you. Therefore calling him wacky is way out of line.

On the other hand, maybe you were being ironic. Perhaps you believe that those who have proven themselves to be exceptionally moral and upright in the public sphere have a right and obligation to legislate our private behaviors and our rights to life, libety and property lest Society crumble from a lack of guidance. In which case you might classify those Christians who disagree as wacky and maybe even fundamentalist. After all it is somewhat fundamentalist to unfairly focus on just the most prominent and repetitive passages of the Gospels: You know line after line of Jesus's nauseating and entirely impractical love and abiding for sinners and outcasts.

Stupid, ineffectual and inappropriate rant over.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
edit: yea i think this one was directed to me, ben

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, I just figured that out.

[ QUOTE ]
So whatever his views on the worlds origin, mans place in it and the nature of God, he doesn't want to force that belief upon you. Therefore calling him wacky is way out of line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for these wise words. (serious and not sarcastic)
Old 10-05-2006, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So whatever his views on the worlds origin, mans place in it and the nature of God, he doesn't want to force that belief upon you. Therefore calling him wacky is way out of line.

[/ QUOTE ]
He's a young earth creationist. I'm not denigrating his views on public policy or the proper role of government in a free society or anything else along those lines. But he is a religious fundamentalist -- or, in more playful terms, a fundamentalist wacko.

BTW, I like and respect Daniel.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not denigrating his views on public policy or the proper role of government in a free society or anything else along those lines. But he is a religious fundamentalist -- or, in more playful terms, a fundamentalist wacko.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, even though you say its playing, this comes across as a serious confusion of issues. A 'fundamentalist wacko' should probably cause offense to your views of proper governmental policy. If you pretty much respect his conduct, the term 'wacko' leads people to believe the wrong thing. You seem to be implying that his religious beliefs are crazy simply because you don't hold them, even if you like him personally. If I'm wrong, please correct me.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Screw Negraneu, he's Canadian.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, a country where adults have freedom to do want they want to with their own money, the govt. doesn't censor the internet, people have health care, they don't go stormtrooping all over the world trying to push their so called 'freedom' down everybody's throat, and they don't have kids being shot and killed in school every single freaking week.....yeah Canada really sucks [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2006, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You seem to be implying that his religious beliefs are crazy simply because you don't hold them

[/ QUOTE ]
No, that's not why they're crazy.

Anyway, I'm guilty of starting a useless hi-jack. Carry on.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be guilty of continuing this useless hijack [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Why, exactly, are they crazy?
Old 10-05-2006, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You seem to be implying that his religious beliefs are crazy simply because you don't hold them

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

DN probably lives and thinks like he plays. He seems to go by instinct only using logic when he has to make an extra tough fold or a tough call. Similarly, it's probably not his instinct to use science to view the world. He probably considers the idea that man isn't unique and came from quad-pedaled, tree swinging primates quite alien. And since theres no practical reason to consider the issue fully, he goes with his gut instict which is to place Man just below God and above the animals and to believe in the same religion his mother and father taught him.

Doesn't seem crazy to me.