Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2006, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Libertarian Party Press Release

[ QUOTE ]
So if you were in the room when the decloration of independence was proposed you would have told them "naw, i'm sticking with the british rule as you guys dont have a good chance of pulling this off?"

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he's saying that if the other guys in that room aren't committing to the war, he's not going to go charge the redcoats assisted only by his musket and 3 cats.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So if you were in the room when the decloration of independence was proposed you would have told them "naw, i'm sticking with the british rule as you guys dont have a good chance of pulling this off?"

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he's saying that if the other guys in that room aren't committing to the war, he's not going to go charge the redcoats assisted only by his musket and 3 cats.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you think that the people signing were well prepared and reasonably assessed that they had a good chance of winning a war?
Old 10-04-2006, 03:06 PM

I've known for a long time that the Libertarian Party echoed most of my political beliefs, but like so many of us, I chose to be an uninvolved participant in the political process for the simple reason that I never felt it mattered.

The democrat and republican parties stopped representing the people's interests a long time ago, and now it is all about staying in power. The passing of this interenet gambling bill was the last staw for me, and I plan on becoming much more active in the political process both personally and finanically,and I plan on doing it through the Libertarian Party.

I really see no other choice. How I live my life is my business, and I'll be damned if I'm going to just lay there and let a self-righteous prick like Frist trample over my personal freedoms without a fight.

I encourage all of you to do the same.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My brother told me that the Libertarian party believes the next best thing to them being in power is to have split power in the government. In other words, we need the Republicans to control the House, and the Democrats control the Senate (or vise versa). I cannot confirm that the Libertarian party actually said this, but it makes sence. With split control, we'll have more gridlock. With more gridlock, hopefully stupid bills like this would have never been passed.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you want to fund a government that accomplishes nothing?
Old 10-04-2006, 03:07 PM

Guys. this thread is slipping close to politics. Let's get back on track and talk about what the Libertarians would do regarding online gambling.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't like their stand on defense or i would join.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you sumarize their defense platform? I took a quick scan of hte website and didn't see defense mentioned (which I find quite odd for a political party...)
Old 10-04-2006, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, if any of you really do find yourself thinking along libertarian lines, you should check out the Cato Institute.

www.cato.org

[/ QUOTE ]

Or the far better...

www.mises.org
Old 10-04-2006, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The Republicans say whatever the public seems to be buying in order to get elected.

[/ QUOTE ]
IMO, this pretty much describes both Dems and Republicans.

[ QUOTE ]

Right now, I'm offended by their willingness to subvert the democratic process.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm offended as well, but I knew this was done by both parties quite liberally over the years. Until now it just didn't really click how horrible this is.

I also know that the Libertarians have some more extreme views that I can't get on board with, such as the Drug legalization and other things.

I'm just pretty digusted with the whole deal right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to clarify something that you may or may not be aware of:

I am a libertarian and I am for degriminalization of drugs. This does not mean that i think drugs are good or helpful or should be consumed. What it means is that i do not want to criminalize drug posession/use and have ungodly amounts of taxpayer money spend on a war that has accomplished nothing. Cocaine is cheaper today than it was in the 80's. heroin is cheap and widely available too. How has the status quo drug war helped us?

You can be against drug use and libertarian.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:17 PM

Default Re: So you\'re thinking of becoming a Libertarian, eh?

[ QUOTE ]
"20 Things You Must Believe to be a Libertarian"

[/ QUOTE ]

On whose authority do you speak? I do not have to accept this premise and do not trust anyone who starts a post like this. I will decide what I am, not you.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't like their stand on defense or i would join.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not agree with a couple of their policies but agree with most of them. I think this country would be well served if their ideas became more widely known and the way to do that is to increase their numbers/voice.