Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2006, 10:41 PM

Default 2/4 and 3/6 games compare to 1/2....????

I've got the roll and am considering moving up in the limits. I've been playing 1/2 6-max for the last four months and have been doing well. I was curious what my best course of action would be here. How do the 2/4 games compare to the 1/2 games on Empire? How do the 3/6 games compare? Are there better games on different sites?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:12 PM

Default Re: 2/4 and 3/6 games compare to 1/2....????

I haven't played those games, but you can observe them yourself.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:31 PM

The best way for you to figure this out is to datamine. Anything anyone tells you at this point in the wake of the legislation is going to be wrong anyway. Just remember to exercise good table and seat selection and you should find good games.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:00 AM

Thanks for the help. Yeah, I guess I didn't consider how much the games will change after the Pres. signs the bill into law within the next two weeks. Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:44 AM

more donkish, more aggro, etc.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:01 AM

Far more aggro.

Imo there is a big gap between 1/2 and 2/4.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:53 AM

A couple rules of thumb for moving up:

- The fish at each level are pretty similar to the fish one level lower. The difference is that there are fewer of them and more TAGs, and the TAGs at each level will be noticably more solid than the TAGs one level lower.

- Beginners start out loose passive. They don't have much grasp for relative hand strengths, and when in doubt, they call. As players get a better grasp of their relative hand strength, they learn to fold in more spots, and raise in more spots. As you move up in stakes, players on average will tend to become tighter and more aggressive. This includes the fish (but it's a very gradual change as you move up in limits -- the superfish can exist at any level, but the further up you go, the harder they are to find).

Reads get more important at each level because you will run into different types of players. At 1/2 pretty much everyone fits the beginner mold, but each time you move up you will run into players that are a bit better than what you've dealt with before, and you need to adjust to those players while also remembering how to beat the fish that you've already learned to beat. General rules (such as folding one pair to a turn raise) will become less reliable, and decisions will have to be based more on your knowledge of your opponent. Adjusting your pf threebetting range and calling down range etc against specific opponents will be necessary.

The good news about 2/4 and 3/6 is that the vast majority of players still play more or less straightforward. They tend to be pretty predictable. They don't tend to adjust very well and you can figure out which ones ALWAYS slowplay and which ones NEVER slowplay, etc.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:08 PM

I'm making the move to 2/4 now. I've had enough BR for a while to do it but I'd been putting it off. I basically decided to do it while clearing a Poker Room bonus because unlike most sites, Poker Room bonuses clear much faster as you move up in limits. In this case, nearly twice as fast.

I only played about 1500 hands on Poker Room while clearing the bonus so nothing definitive comes up, but I have not noticed a lot of huge difference yet.

Some differences I have noticed:
* Some players are more capable of finding a fold in tough spots. This means you can/should up your aggression a little with marginal hands, but also maybe that you need to back off a little to get value from better hands.

* I've gotten more playback in steal situations. TAGs at 1/2 generally seemed willing to give me their blinds unless they had a hand, LAPs were generally happy to just call. I'm getting 3bet a lot by TAGS when I raise on the button or the SB, with much crappier hands than I expect, i.e. K6o, suited connectors.

* There are still plenty of donkeys. I was in a feeding frenzy a few nights ago where a guy was playing 100/65/2 which basically means raising almost every time it was his turn, and calling down pretty much any hand, every time. He sat with $500 and when I left he had about $100. Maybe I should have stayed but it was very late and I was tired, and I was happy with a) what I took from him over that time period and b) what others gave to me while chasing him down