Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2006, 10:46 AM

Default So, I have an overpair. How much is it worth?

Not much stats. Over 29 hands villain has 55/3.5/1.3

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($109.50)
Hero ($84.60)
MP ($193.55)
CO ($83.05)
Button ($32.77)
SB ($83.50)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $4, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: ($9.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $7</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $29</font>.

Final Pot: $45.50
Old 10-04-2006, 11:03 AM

Default Re: So, I have an overpair. How much is it worth?

shrug. I hate these spots because as easy as they could have A8 or K8suited, they may have very likely he flopped a set. Also something I've seen happening to me recently is people smooth calling with AA KK QQ sometimes because I am somewhat a tight player and they want my action i guess? Anyhow if you have a bankroll and don't mind reloading, then I re-raise this player to see if his hand is "that strong". He might just be raising you because all people think pf raisers have AK AQ.

Up to you to make the call. IMO I don't think it's a bad play to reraise here, although he might just push all in, and it won't be much more to call if you make a good re-raise.

So what did you do?
Old 10-04-2006, 11:16 AM

Fold all day.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
shrug. I hate these spots because as easy as they could have A8 or K8suited, they may have very likely he flopped a set. Also something I've seen happening to me recently is people smooth calling with AA KK QQ sometimes because I am somewhat a tight player and they want my action i guess? Anyhow if you have a bankroll and don't mind reloading, then I re-raise this player to see if his hand is "that strong". He might just be raising you because all people think pf raisers have AK AQ.

Up to you to make the call. IMO I don't think it's a bad play to reraise here, although he might just push all in, and it won't be much more to call if you make a good re-raise.

So what did you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Reraising here is so bad that just thinking about it makes me wanna cry. And most people would be better off if they never heard about the concept of raising for information.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:27 AM

Fold&gt;raise&gt;call IMO

Dont like raising for info most times but here your pretty much commited if you call on the flop anyways
Old 10-04-2006, 12:16 PM

I think this is a fold. That's a pretty big raise.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:25 PM

I'd give it up. Villain has put in over a 1/3 of his stack and the next street you more than likely to face an allin if you call. There is no real way of getting to showdown without putting all the money in, and you only have a weak overpair. Wait for better spots would be my thoughts, especially with a 55/3.5 player.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:45 PM

Against an unkown I would fold. More often than not this is a bigger pair/TP/set. Could be A8, 99 or a st8 draw but I don't want to spend my whole stack to find out.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:15 PM

Ok, thanks for the input guys. I called his bet and then he (of course) went all-in on a 6 of clubs. I folded.

I often fold to big bets with OK hands. This time I just thought I should call once and see if he slows down on the turn. He didn't.. and I guess they never do [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]